FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

530 Chaiin Link Removal

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Plumber

Post Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:54 pm

530 Chaiin Link Removal

The Diamond side plate is directional and a light press fit. The plate on the right is "used", so now the plate will easily press over the pins. That's why the plates are only designed to be used once, I suppose. You could lose a master link, like you could lose a "used" piston pin clip (somewhere between BTDC and TDC.
A new plate is directional, because if you flip the new plate over, it will push further on the pins, installed on the flip side.
The in side of the plate has a lighter circle stamp.
The out side of the plate a heavier stamping.
MotionPro® link removal tool. V-Twin.
Grind the peen off all four link pins, flat to the side plate. You'll be pushing a single pin from the link with this tool, and you can't center the drift pin on an uneven peen.
Master-plate installer. V-Twin.
Imo, the correct tools for the job enhance the Zen moments of motorcycle maintenance.
It would be irresponsible not to show the direction of the master link. :wink:
This was a 104 link chain. Now it's 63-3/4" long (the same as the '49-57 Spare Parts Catalog calls out for a 63-3/4" length, and 102 links), laid flat with the links compressed. 102 links still work when using a 26-T transmission sprocket.
This is V-Twin frame #1107 from 1997. I thought maybe the transmission mounts and axle plates might have been out of alignment. It appears that everything is correct. Thanks to Don @ Corbin Gentry that oversaw the adjustments. This Pan has been 10+ years in the making and I'm getting closer. Sure nice when it all fits together.
Last edited by Plumber on Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

panacea

Post Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:37 pm

Re: 530 Chaiin Link Removal

Plumber, I actually prefer the 102 link, It makes the wheel look more concentric with the fender, plus if you want to remove the brake drum there is more room to lift the chain over the sprocket. Why did you need to remove two links? Mike
<<

Plumber

Post Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:02 pm

Re: 530 Chaiin Link Removal

Thanks, I re-counted and it's 102 links now. It was 104.

Return to Pans