FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Oil recommendations?

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

BenE

Post Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:00 pm

Oil recommendations?

It's oil change time for my '50 Pan. Stock displacement EL, stock oil pump, has not been converted to outside oiler, chain primary. Anyone have a favorite as far as motor oil goes? The manuals all recomend 60 weight for most riding temperatures. My local Advance Auto Parts has tons of selection in one-gallon jugs of motor oil, but nothing heavier than 50 weight. Should I just go with HD brand oil 60 weight? Are any other manufacturer's specialized motorcycle blends worthwhile?
<<

Plumber

Post Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:23 am

Re: Oil recommendations?

I put 30k miles on my Pan using Harley-Davidson 20W-50 from the day it was rebuilt. We just bored cylinders and installed new pistons. My barrels had scuff marks in the bore, that you could barely feel at the forward part of the cylinder. Looked good for 30k. I like Harley 20W-50 because it runs around the motor faster when it's cold. Now, I'm going to use H-D (straight) grade 60, even through the winter. We don't know what wt. grade 60 actually is, but let's call it 60 wt. Harley oil is more expensive, but I figure it's worth it, when I'm sitting at a long traffic light in hot August. Harley told me that there is always a protective film that prevents the crank rollers from skating on the races and creating a flat spot memory that the rollers will return to. I'd say, and Stett (4th level H-D PHD tech) the motor builder agrees, that you can alternate the two between oil changes, or seasons, and use Harley 20W-50 in the winter and grade 60 in the summer.
Asking about oil is asking about religion or politics. That said, imo, which oil to use for your Harley-Davidson is more important than either. Oil opinions run in all directions, like a poured tube of BB's hitting hard concrete. That's mine.
<<

panacea

Post Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:39 pm

Re: Oil recommendations?

Plumber, Where's the pix? Mike

Return to Pans