FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

3.5 Gallon Gas Tanks

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Plumber

Post Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:26 pm

Make A "New" 3.5 Gallon Tank

[
ted mentioned your email and the tanks. he seemed to be considering trying again .? there are diff.people now that do things better ? well maybe. - jw

------------------------------------------------------------------
Great, go over there to make sure they're made right. No balloon tanks. 3" across the back, you know?, not 3-1/4" or 3-1/2". Measure the distance of the right nipple to the tab mount surface. Drop those fill neck openings. No Shovel vents. Use a lighter gauge metal for those mount tabs too. I'll settle with stick-on Harley-Davidson®, if I have to have emblems, since the stick-on's come with the same base plate screws as early OEM ones.
You know the way the real tanks feel then you hold them. They're such a lop shape, real tank halves want to jump out of your hand, like a fish. Thanks for quarterbacking the move. - Plumber

Thanks for the Paughco suggestion Chris.
Thanks for the leak fix remedy John HD.
Last edited by Plumber on Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
<<

Plumber

Post Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:30 pm

Make A "New" 3.5 Gallon Tank

"So what if V-Twin makes new 3.5 gallon tanks :!:.... !@x#~!¡!...I already tol' you, if they do, it's still going to be like going on a date with a girl you just met, and everything goes OK until she takes her clothes off and you find out "she's" transvestite.
These-new-tanks-still-are-not-going-to look-right :!: They ain't gonna look.....real, period.
I've said it, time and time again, they're going to take an OEM set of tanks to Taiwan, to this "better" manufacturer, and then the V-Twin crew are going to look at difficult places on the tanks, and say, "Well Harley-Davidson spent all this time and money to make this sharp bend... or they had to do this...to roll this contour into the bottom edge of each tank.... That's too much money for us to spend....let's make the tanks this cheaper way and none of the enthusiasts will know the difference." - industry sources

That being said, by a group of individuals that have been surrounded up to their ears, with these aftermarket parts for the last 35 yrs., and know every thing about them - function and fit, I won't disagree with them.
But we as the end-of-line-users, should not let this opportunity pass, without providing a list of all the things that are wrong with the current 3.5 gallon tanks, for V-Twin to be aware of. So in this way, we tried to outline what we want and don't want in the new tank(s), and we can contribute to keeping a standard of excellence when it comes to replication. Expect to pay more and get true replica for the new gas tanks. If we have gas tanks, oil tanks, and cam covers that look real, then the curb appeal is satisfied. We have everything but the gas tanks. Simple as that. The rest of it is all there, good as we need. We can all appreciate (or not) OEM antique OHV separate from replica OHV.
I ordered a set of the "new" 3.5 tanks and a valve alignment tool, if necessary.
Here's the Knuckle and Panhead tanks, as best as I know the existing problems to be. Please correct me if I'm wrong, or add to it. This gets read by V-Twin. I have (aftermarket) AM Panhead tanks, but not AM Knuckle tanks, so help with some more of the "fit-wrong" details if you can. tia.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Panhead 3.5 tanks:
1. Too Ballooned up front and top, which makes everything cubically wrong about them.
2. Tank backs are 4 " wide and they should be 3" wide.
3. Will the Pan dash cover match the contour of the top of the Panhead tanks :?:
4. Gas filler necks need to be dropped to lower position, and not sit straight up.
5. The mount tabs could be a lighter gauge metal than the ones on the current AM Panhead tanks.
6. No Shovelhead design elements should be included.
7. We don't need emblems. Asking for metal OEM style welded mount strips is asking for too much.
8. We don't need tanks shift gate mounts. Asking for shift gate mounts that don't turn out as deep and wide tank-stamp depressions, is asking for too much.

Knuckle 3.5 tanks:
1. The tanks are too ballooned and overall appear cubically larger.
2. The cateye dash depression in the tanks is too wide. The dash cover won't cover the east/west sides of the opening.
3. The cateye cover does not fit the contour of the top of the tank.
4. The right tank supply nipple is misplaced.
6. Tank backs are 3-1/2 " wide and they should be 3" wide.
7. The top and bottom holes for the fuel shut off valve and rod are mis-aligned beyond redemption.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<<

hdrl1935

Post Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:19 pm

Re: 3.5 Gallon Gas Tanks

I miss this guy 'Plumber'. :cry:
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:58 pm

He had an opportunity to stay with the forum. He did not take that opportunity. Pa
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:13 am

He has dissapeared from all the sites I used to see him in. No goodbye, just POOF and he was gone.
<<

hdrl1935

Post Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:41 am

I was half joking...........

The guy's posts were hilarious. The guy had a passion/obsession for repop/vtwin tanks. It was like a glimpse into the mind of a mad-man! :lol:

Chris, I thought you guys were real tight bros.......... :roll:
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:24 pm

hdrl1935 wrote:I was half joking...........

The guy's posts were hilarious. The guy had a passion/obsession for repop/vtwin tanks. It was like a glimpse into the mind of a mad-man! :lol:

As you are from Sandy Eggo I am surprised you don't know him. :D
<<

hdrl1935

Post Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:24 pm

Chris Haynes wrote:
hdrl1935 wrote:I was half joking...........

As you are from Sandy Eggo I am surprised you don't know him. :D

I'd love to meet the 'legend' himself! Talk Tedd's Tanks over a few beers........good times! :D
Previous

Return to Pans