FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

electric starter

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

almorenoldo

Post Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:45 pm

electric starter

Hello guys

A good friend off mine is at the hospital with a broken leg ( from kicking his Pan )
and asked me if I knew of any good ways of putting a electric strarter on his 49´
I know that I´ve seen it before, but can anyone tell me where ?
I guess what hes after is a complete kit - more or less

Hope you guys can help me out here before he does something stupid as buying a Fatbuy :wink:

Allan , Killerbobbers ; Copenhagen
member of KillerBobbers
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:36 pm

Hope you guys can help me out here before he does something stupid as buying a Fatbuy

Perhaps you could have his Panhead tuned properly so it will start easy. :D
<<

Cotten

Post Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:38 pm

It wasn't the Pan's fault.

Molesting it with an electric foot is adding insult to injury.

....Cotten
<<

Plumber

Post Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:05 pm

almorenoldo
I looked in the '07 V-Twin catalog for you. Those kick to electric conversion kits are no longer offered. But, I saw them once in there years ago.
Remind your friend that the Knuckle and Pan motors were designed with a shorter stroke than Sportster or Shovel. The Knuck and Pan motors are the only ones made to start while you are sitting astride the machine, never hanging off the side. I know it looks "biker" and all that, but it's bad for the kick cover bushing to be jumping up and down on it, plus when people see someone repeatly kicking a machine to death with no positive results, they like to yell out "Hardly Ableson" and that's never good..
He should probably consider rebuilding his motor to 74" and enjoy the non-effort of starting the motorcycle like the founders intended. Or, buy a Shovel or iron-head Sportster. They're both really good at separating your knee-cap. You might even get a permanent limp, if you work at it. I can't think of a better machine to get hurt starting, than a '71 XLCH (worked for me :!:), or the BSA B-33, 500, single. Or, missing a kick-through on something big inch will do the trick too. :idea:
<<

Cotten

Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:09 am

The machine doesn't care where you stand when you kick it.

.....Cotten
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:23 am

The conversion over to electric start isn't irreversable. No real harm done. Just don't toss the original parts away after fitting one up to it. :wink: Pa
<<

DICK LEMAY

Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:28 am

You guys are brutal. Is this maybe what you were looking for?

http://www.techcycle.com

Nice looking stuff but pricey. I can't testify as to its performance.

Dick

FYI, I have one of those no compression 61" knuckles that I've been hurt on because it offers no resistance. Kinda like taking that last step at the top of the stairs that's not there.

Return to Pans