FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Trans gear wear

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

BenE

Post Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:25 pm

Trans gear wear

I tore down my Pan tranny (need a new main drive bushing), and the gears look OK to me, no chips etc. Someone else I had look at it pointed out that there are a few spots on some gear teeth where it looks like the hard surface is worn through. These look like small spots or scratches. They are not on every tooth, nor do they go all the way across any tooth. How much of this is acceptable? Should I not bother reusing these gears?
<<

Plumber

Post Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:53 pm

"Once the hardface is gone from any area, the parts wear pretty fast", is what I've been told. The 4-speed trans last such a long time, you're better off with new gears IMO. I wonder if Andrews has any MDG in stock?
<<

krazy loop

Post Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:02 pm

The best trans gears I ever found were from original HD knuckles, old and shiny or otherwise. I have zero scientific basis for saying this but I strongly suspect that heat treatment way back when was the key to making them last forever. My experience is that they do if you treat your trans right and change the oil often. The strongest cases I ever found were early 1970s Supergilde. Remove the four studs, change the guts (or just the mainshaft), and they work just fine with your jockey lid.
New Knuckleheads? Thank, you, Jesus!!

Return to Pans