FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Do I really need a shift fork gauge?

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

BenE

Post Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:24 am

Do I really need a shift fork gauge?

I stripped my Pan transmission down so I now just have the case with the mainshaft stuff still in it. I'll be bringing it to a shop this weekend to have a really worn out main drive gear bushing replaced along with the seals, etc.

When I get it back, I'll be putting it back together myself. Do I absolutely need one of those shift fork gauge rigs to get the shift timing right? If so, maybe I'll just have the shop do it instead of buying one.
<<

h.d.ryder

Post Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:10 am

No,you do not need a shift fork gauge to set up your shift forks on your 4 speed trans. I now have both jigs for 4 speed trans. But in the past I used to set them up without the jig,and they worked fine.When you get your shift forks installed,put the top on the trans,and shift it thru all the gears,then back into neutral,and (this is the hard part),then carefully lift the trans.top straight up and off the trans. Then look at each shift fork and sliding clutch,They should each be exactly centred between first and second gear, and 3rd.and 4th.gear. If not centred,then add or subtract shims on fork,and put top on trans and run it thru the gears again. This method works,it just takes a bit more time.
Larry
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:24 pm

Well..........that is a way I didn't think of. :o Pa
<<

Curt!

Post Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:50 pm

That's the way I did it until I came across a set of the jigs really cheap. :wink:
Curt!
<<

krazy loop

Post Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:42 pm

Having locked a box in two gears once I don't know if I would trust that method. It strikes me as a little too easy to accidentally move one of the forks when lifting off the lid not matter how careful you are.

I use the gauge, get the forks centered, and then shim each fork away from the other by one thin shim---.007. That pretty much prevents ever locking up which always tends to happen when shifting from 2d to 3d, not when cruising. Of course, even that won't prevent a lock up if you lose a tooth or break off a small piece of one of the small collars/rollers that fit on the forks where they contact the lid.

If you don't want to buy the gauge, take your box to someone who has one and pay him $10 to use it for a few minutes.
New Knuckleheads? Thank, you, Jesus!!

Return to Pans