FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Rocker box mods

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

panic

Post Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:45 pm

Rocker box mods

I'm looking at a long list of topics to work on for future booklets, including one on how to adjust/modify panhead rocker boxes to compensate for wear, stem height changes, high-lift cams, etc.
This is probably very similar to Moto Guzzi, Royal Enfield 500 and a few other oddities, but not other H-D since the box height is not fixed in the casting.

Any interest? LMK.

No interest: goes to the back of the list.
<<

zooma

Post Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:07 pm

Panic
I would be interested I own two pans an EL 1950 and a stroked FL 62 with cam and other mods.Always looking for improvements and methods to keep them on the road.
zooma
<<

h.d.ryder

Post Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:09 pm

Pan rockers

I`m doing a set right now.I replaced the rocker shafts with new "Eastern" rocker shafts. I set the lower rocker blocks on the dowels on the cyl.head,with the shaft laying on the lower block,and rocker pad on top of valve stem.Now I slide rocker shaft to right and left,to centre pad on top of valve stem.This way I know which end of rocker block to braze,to get rid of the excessive end play.(If you braze wrong end,the rocker pad may be hanging over edge of valve stem.) Then I braze the end of the block,and clamp it onto a 7/8" x10"long shaft,and chuck it in the lathe,and turn the brazed part down until I get about .005 or .006" end play. Then I take it to my local auto. machine shop,they face a few thou. off the two mating surfaces,then line hone on their Sunnen hone to fit the new shafts. I know,it seems like a lot of work,but it is a good fix,and it beats that cheap Taiwanese crap,that C.C.I is peddling.
Larry
<<

krazy loop

Post Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:57 am

How well do the new Eastern shafts hold up?
New Knuckleheads? Thank, you, Jesus!!
<<

panic

Post Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:04 am

<<

h.d.ryder

Post Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:34 am

I don`t know how well the Eastern shafts will hold up. It`s my first time using Eastern Pan rocker shafts. They were my best option,I chose made in the U.S.A.,as opposed to off-shore.They look to be good quality. I guess time will tell.
Larry
<<

Plumber

Post Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:49 pm

I chose made in the U.S.A.,as opposed to off-shore.They look to be good quality.

Those might be n.o.s. If the aren't, then just having enough of a demand for quality Panhead rocker assemblies, that a USA company can afford to market them, is a good thing.
A booklet about how to re-build old ones would be useful too. More books, more parts, more interest , more support.

Return to Pans