FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Vol. 3 Catazine - AMCA Edition

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Plumber

Post Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:52 pm

Vol. 3 Catazine - AMCA Edition

All bobber/kit orientated. I just got this in the mail from Kick-Start (616)245-8991 10-5- M-F (EST).
I have more pages. I'll post most of it here later. If you've had any experiences with these parts good or bad let's hear it. It's not perfect parts world in Replicaville, but it's nice to see a kick-start only publication for a change.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
The (16-0953) Speed Wrench is a good tool to have. Speeds up head work.
ImageImage
Last edited by Plumber on Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Curt!

Post Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:03 pm

When that purple knuck was at Cinci last month it had a huge dent in the gas tank and paint chipping off all over. I thought it was really tacky that they had it in their display like that.
Curt!
<<

Plumber

Post Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:52 am

That machine and it's dent(s) reflect the fact that it gets moved around alot. It makes more sense to (me anyway) to objectively look at the whole package of what's been created over the last 37 years. They started in 1969 with n.o.s, used, and a few aftermarket parts, and look where we are today. Or, you can subjectively look at Purple and discover that the exhaust are not supported, and that the front fender is not attached at the top, etc., but that is not the whole picture.
Their "speedster" Glide handlebars are better than OEM (just because the spiral stems (and slots) are wrapped with protective electrical tape and have end plugs included). I own a set. I own a set of Harley-Davidson "buckhorn" handlebars..... V-Twins are better.
I'm not about to let V-Twin slide on anything. Remember, I'm the schlub that bought a frame from them in 1997 and had to send it back to Conneticut three times (albiet, it was seven years after I bought it !) If you buy a kit and you keep the motor 74", you'll have unlimited free assistance from we who know here at FHP. We own Knuckles and Pans. We don't ride other models and then try and dry-gulch V-Twins' efforts from a safe perch above a ravine. It's easy to attack V-Twin that way. They're a big, slow moving target. Going after them is like hunting a dairy cow or a moose. There's no sport in that. 8)
If your going to build an OHV, do like they did with that Raw Knuckle. Put the whole thing together first and get it fitted. When you go back and re-build it, you'll feel like Henry Ford reincarnated-plus, you stay pretty clean during the final stages of assembly. That's when hobbying starts getting soulful.
Builders get better parts to work with now. I don't know of any outstanding mechanical issues. 1941-1959 is covered pretty good. 1938 dash bases were a problem once. Alot of people fix what's necessary as they go along, and you never hear about it as a problem.
http://www.amazon.com/Mechanics-Owners- ... F8&s=books

Return to Pans