FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Pan rocker shafts

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

h.d.ryder

Post Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:27 pm

Pan rocker shafts

Greetings , Does any one know where to buy a set of good quality rocker shafts for a pan-head,(or is there such a thing?) Just the shafts and not the blocks, and not Custom Chrome or V-Twin. Thanks .
Larry
<<

dr sportster

Post Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:08 pm

I have never seen any that said Made In USA.You could buy the imports and have Baisley put rollers on em.At least they wont be worn out and will be reworked in USA.Other than used I doubt there is what you really want.Unless maybe the place called NOS Parts.Some of the stuff they sell is Taiwan but at least they tell you ahead of time.You can always tighten up on the one diameter by sanding the top of the blocks on a flat surface.
<<

h.d.ryder

Post Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:14 pm

Thanks dr. Is there a web-page for Baisly?
Larry
<<

amklyde

Post Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:34 pm

If you have the late rockers with a good contact surface its worth the time to put the shaft between centers and od grind to true it up. You have to pull the press in plugs on the drilled end and make new plugs when done. If you have to remove alot of material from the block halves to reduce the hole diameter it is best done by machining rather than sanding to keep the pieces flat and square. The lower is easy to do on a surface grinder but the top requires a fixture to hold it on the grinder or milling machine. Then the block has to be resized by boring and finish honed. Alot of time and effort but when you are done you can count on at least a hundred thousand miles with proper lube. Sure would be nice if someone would take the time to make some decent replacements. The available complete rocker assemblies have good blocks, but are often sized poorly, and the rocker arms are mostly junk. I used to order way more than I needed so I could pick the best and return the rest. Not much fun with V-Twin.
<<

Plumber

Post Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:51 pm

I used to order way more than I needed so I could pick the best and return the rest. :lol:
<<

h.d.ryder

Post Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:11 pm

Hi Amklyde, I don`t know what year these shafts are off,it`s a heinz 57 pan. The one end is centre drilled,which end has the pressed in plugs? I sent back 2 complete sets of blocks and shafts,one set from V-Twin, one set from Custom chrome.They were pathetic, all had between .012"-.014" end play,and excess clearance between shaft and block, they were worse than my worn out ones. I know I can repair the blocks,with out too much trouble. I know where I can get some shafts sold by Eastern,do you know if they are any good? Another question,what if you were to grind the shafts and industrial chrome them? Would the chrome stand up?Thanks.
Larry
<<

amklyde

Post Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:10 am

The pushrod side has the plug pressed in, nearly impossible to get out with out ruining them. By late rockers I mean those with the ball recepticle machined into the rocker instead of a separate ball socket that is peened in. Sometimes you have to ding around with the center on the valve end to get the shaft to run true as possible between centers. Its worth doing if you only have to remove a few thousandths. It is also important to keep an eye on the rocker center height, if the block has been worked a couple of times it can sit low and if you have stem protrusion at the big end of the spec you can have upper retainer to rocker arm clearance problems. The industrial hard chrome idea might work ok, you might be able to bring the diameter to a few thousandths over the original size and just hone your stock blocks to fit. You would still have to true up the shaft before plating or after.

Return to Pans