FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

ANDREWS H GRIND

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

X-WLCH

Post Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:35 pm

ANDREWS H GRIND

Any one have experience with the Andrews H grind ? Does it require higher than standard compression ? It seems to have low lift but lots of duration . Was wondering if it would make a good kick start cam ?
<<

Lee W

Post Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:41 pm

Re: ANDREWS H GRIND

That looks like an interesting cam. At first I thought you were mistaken about it being an H grind Andrews because all their newer literature lists a stock H cam for comparison, but I checked some of my old cam sheets (like from back in the '80s) and there it was. Here are the specs in case you don't have them.

IO 37 / IC 45 Intake duration 262
EO 45 / EC 37 Exhaust duration 262
.426 lift Shovel / .450 lift Pan

BTW - some of the earlier cam sheets have the duration listed as 268 , but it must be a misprint. Adding the opening and closing specs does not come out right.

What is interesting is that despite having 6 degrees more duration than a B cam, it has an earlier closing intake and a later opening exhaust. Looks to me like it should work OK with stock compression ratio. Kick starting should not be a problem if the engine is well tuned.
<<

X-WLCH

Post Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:58 pm

Re: ANDREWS H GRIND

Thanks Lee I'll have to roll the cam and measure what the actual duration is. It doesn't look like that much by eye but cams can be very deceiving. Andrews puts this cam in the spec lineup ( the old lineup ) right behind the J and before the A but with the stated duration that didn't seem right.

Return to Pans