FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Cases

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

47knuck

Post Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:08 am

Cases

OK so I went with a friend to look at a 47 Pan that was for sale. I told my friend that there was no 47 Pan but went to look any way. What I saw was a Pan right side case mated to a Knuck left side case. Closer look showed a weld repair just under the number boss from the front cylinder to the rear. Numbers looked OK but they could have been cut off with this repair. But what really got me thinking was that the Pan cylinders sat just like they do on my Knuck. sticking over the case to the primary. This was a runner and no oil leaks but how did the oil drain from the heads? The rest of the bike was a mix and match with an inline springer and right side mounted tool box. Passed on the bike just too much wrong with it. Including the cases. But I have never heard of matching a right side Pan to a left side Knuck. Can it be done? Early Pan case is not too much different than a Knuck except for the big thick casting on the left and all new timing case on the right. :) But still, why would any one do this? Not too sure where to post so I put it here in the Pan section. It is a Pan now. I guess.
Steve
Steve H
<<

Lee W

Post Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:42 pm

Re: Cases

No reason why it would not work, assuming everything was done correctly. The pan cylinders are likely the later style where there is a "cross drill" from the oil drain into the cylinder bore (below the ring travel). Then it would just be a matter of plugging the bottom of the oil drain hole so it doesn't leak on the overhang. As to why anyone would do this? Lots of possible scenarios come to mind. Broken Pan left case but a good Knuck one available for cheap is one. Clean title on a Knuck left case to go with a stolen Panhead would be a less charitable possibility.
<<

RUBONE

Post Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:06 pm

Clean title on a Knuck left case to go with a stolen Panhead would be a less charitable possibility.

But certainly more likely! :evil:
Robbie
<<

Cotten

Post Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:55 pm

Steve!

The cylinder deck of one case must be flycut lower to match the other (I think it was the Pan), and the top case stud hole egged out.
Don't ask me how I know, because I don't remember.

....Cotten
<<

47knuck

Post Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:10 pm

Thanks to all for the information. RUBONE, never thought the bike was cooked. Just me I guess. Expected to find an owner who was confused. Current owner was not too happy when I left cause he did not know. I think he lost some money on his trade. Cotten thanks for the tech information. I only looked close cause the guy wanted to buy some heads and restore the bike. I wanted to know how the pan heads had been made to work. When I saw the pan lifter blocks and cam cover I got closer and saw the repair. Funny what you look for one clue at a time. Never got to tell him about the repro fenders. I had upset him enough by then. My friend was not happy he wants a 49 pan bad. Oh well I have days like that. Thanks again to all on this site who have helped me see stuff like this. I am no expert but I can spot some things.
Steve
Steve H
<<

Jerry Wieland

Post Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:46 am

Cotten

In my life, I have mated 3 pan or shovel lefts with knuckle rights and do not believe there is any difference in the heights of the cylinder decks. The only minor stumbling block is the difference in the location of the top center case bolt and figuring out which way you want the motor mounts (knuckle or pan).

Jerry
<<

Cotten

Post Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:24 am

Jerry!

It was a Knuck left to a Pan right that I found needed an enormous amount of decking.
It was so long ago I think I used a hack saw, and the owner has died, but the machine is still in local service!

Did you get my last direct email?

....Cotten
<<

Cotten

Post Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:56 am

Jerry!

I compared all of the cases in the shop, and you are right, all are within .040"... So I have no idea why I had to whack one so many years ago!

Meanwhile, I think you have a block on my email; Please check your spamfilter...

....Cotten
<<

Jerry Wieland

Post Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:51 pm

Cotten You did not by chance have a flathead 74 case with an OHV bottom welded in it. They are taller by about 3/8". A friend of mine tried this years ago and I never did hear how it worked out.

My email is hd36ohv@yahoo.com

Jerry
<<

Cotten

Post Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:41 am

Jerry!

It showed up as a Knuck, but ended up a Pan to match the title.
There's a chance I can refresh my memory and look at it again this Christmas.

If you are not receiving my emails, I must be blocked.
I'll PM you here,

.....Cotten

Return to Pans