FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

pan intake question

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

j**r**m

Post Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:36 am

pan intake question

Hi i just accquired a 64' pan that was complete but had been sitting for 2 years. I am sending a linkert off to be rebuilt for this bike but in the meantime I need to get it running for a inspection to get the title transferred. My question is I have a good 38mm Bendix carb and a S&S "E" manifold that I know has a larger bore than the Bendix. If I temporarily use these together to get running to get inspected will it run o.k.? Just curious before I waste the time to do this thanks.
<<

ohio-rider

Post Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:48 pm

Re: pan intake question

I'm curious where do you live that you will need to start the bike for an inspection?
-Steve
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:27 pm

Inspection for what? In CA all they inspect is the numbers. Running or not.
<<

j**r**m

Post Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:05 pm

Here in Texas if you buy a vehicle of any kind from another state before you can get the title transfered to your name you have to have it insured and take the vehicle to a shop that is certified by the state of Texas to have a state vehicle inspection done - they check to see if it brakes well, lights and horn work, blinkers work if it was equipped with and exahaust system is kosher ect. But before you can do this you must show proof of insurance so they will inspect it. Had I known this I wouldn't have bought a bike from out of state that had been sitting a couple of years that had to be gone through completely before attemping to ride as all other Harleys I've bought in the past have been registered in Texas and the inspection is not required. When you have done all this crap then you go back to the tax office, tell them what you paid for it and pay the taxes on that amount (and boy do they break it off in you know what!) Then title is transfered and they hand you the brand new plate and the license stickers that go in each upper corner of that plate. Makes it a real pain in the ass but you know the state has to ger their money!!!
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:17 pm

j**r**m wrote: When you have done all this crap then you go back to the tax office, tell them what you paid for it and pay the taxes on that amount (and boy do they break it off in you know what!

But remember that you have no state income tax. :D
<<

indianut

Post Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:21 pm

I grew up in Texas and I can tell you for a Fact that if you are just a Little bit smooth it is pretty easy to BUY an Inspection Sticker. Just sayin'.
<<

j**r**m

Post Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:13 pm

Ha ha! Yeah you are right because I've had several buddies that had to be slick and buy a inspection sticker for their jalopies !
<<

45Brit

Post Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:03 am

getting back to the original question, considering some of the wierd things that were seen on panheads in the 70s I don't see it as a problem :? Joking apart, the flow dynamics on panheads are such that I don't suppose you will notice the difference if the joints are all properly sealed
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...
<<

j**r**m

Post Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:38 pm

Thanks 45Brit for the help I ordered a correct one for the bendix hopefully it gets delivered soon cuz I'm ready to ride It!

Return to Pans