FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

51 PANHEAD

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

TORDIN123

Post Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:02 am

51 PANHEAD

OK GUYS , I DONT POST OFTEN , BUT ALWAYS READS HERES A LIST OF ?? IM LOOKING TO FIND OUT WERE THE KICKER COVERS DATECODED IN 1951, DOES ANY ONE HAVE DETAILED PICS OF THE SIREN PEDALS ,MOUNT AND LINKAGES,
HOW DO YOU DATE THE REAR FENDER ANY TELL TALE SIGNS THAT ITS OEM ?WHAT SADDLEBAGS WERE AVAILALBE IN 1951 ? ALSO DID THE POLICE OIL TANK WITH THE POLICE BATTERY BOX , WHAT BATTERY AND TIE DOWNS DID YOU USE?
IS THERE ANYONE THAT MAKES GOOD QUALITY REAR FENDER ? OR A GOOD QUALITY HARDWARE KIT FOR THE MOTOR , LIKE RESTORATION QUALITY ALL THE RIGHT STYLE HARDWARE ?
<<

dommi7

Post Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:44 pm

Re: 51 PANHEAD

Early kicker covers were date-coded, later were not.
Rear fenders are dated by the number of ribs in the recess for the chainguard.
Do you have Bruce Palmer's book "Hot to restore your Harley-Davidson"? If not, get it.
Civilian fenders also had single stripes some years, triple stripes in others.
Some reproduction fender rivets (at the ends of the braces) are much larger than OEM. The hinge on OEM fenders has 2 wide and 3 narrow loops. Most reproductions have equal width loops, although people are now reproducing a more correct hinge. The hinge mounting rivet spacing is different on repro. vs. OEM. The metal thickness is not the same, either. Nor is the cross curve on the fender - repros tend to be flatter.
Sorry I can't tell you the details and dimensions. I am at work and don't want to quote form memory and post errors. Your questions are best posted to the AMCA forum where you'll get a lot of detailed information and perhaps some photographs.

Return to Pans