FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

more about 3speed w/ reverse

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

sourdoughsmitty

Post Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:57 pm

more about 3speed w/ reverse

Hi again ,

I was cruising through flea bay and came up with the following ===== Item number: 120441932191 it is labeled as a reverse gear set for a big twin can anyone here verify the pic on the auction ?
Thanx smitty
<<

RUBONE

Post Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:09 pm

Re: more about 3speed w/ reverse

The pic looks like it is a 3&R countershaft assembly. However, that is less than half of what is needed to convert a 4 speed. You would still need the idler gear, idler gear shaft, the reverse and low cluster for the mainshaft, mainshaft second, low /reverse shift fork, 3&r shifter drum for the top, tank shift gate (for the correct year and model) The only two gears that are the same as a 4 speed are the main drive gear and the countershaft high gear, every other gear is different. It is generally cheaper to try to find a complete trans than convert.
Robbie
<<

sourdoughsmitty

Post Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:32 am

I agree especially when my only source thus far has been flea bay but what the hell it costs nothing to look and plan--- it really gets expensive when one puts plan into motion .
thanx again smitty
<<

Frankenstein

Post Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:00 pm

I've got a couple of 3 speed parts around, I think maybe the counter shaft and maybe a sliding gear. If you're interested, I'll root around. I ran a 3sp/R on and off for years, and mostly, it just got me in trouble. You know, hanging out with a bunch of your buddies, showing off the neat tricks you can do, like riding backwards, falling over with your leg caught under the bike, all your buddies laughing so hard they won't pick up the bike off you,, :lol: :lol: :lol: . As I recall Alcohol may have been involved, h'mm.
DD

Return to Pans