FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

59 pan exhaust clamp locations ??

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

neilw

Post Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:33 am

59 pan exhaust clamp locations ??

I am assembling a 59 pan back to original (mostly) but NOT restoring it ,I want to ride it as my main ride.
I'm assembling this bike from 2 basket cases ,a 1961 and 1959.The 61 had been a restoration before being stolen,most of the parts I have from the 61except the eng and frame,so I'n making a 59 because of the eng serial no.and I have the headlite and tins etc.
This bike has a dual crossover exhaust,which was on the 61 .The fellow who restored it had a one peice squish/connector pipe put on it , OEM 65539-65 which came out in 1965.other than that everything is 59.
So before I go any further I want to be sure the exhaust is matching up ,( I have not yet cut the extra slots in the pipes that go on the cylinders).I ordered a set of 9 muffler clamps from Antique cycle,and am not sure where they go.I attached a photo of Harleys parts books dual exhaust system ,showing the old and new versions of the exhaust system.
After looking at plumbers pics I better ask some questions.
I see which clamps hold the pipes to the cylinders,and the big clamps that hold the mufflers on.
But on item 39 in the photo ( the one peice squish/connector pipe) the clamp wont fit over the joint,Plumbers photo looks like maybe it isnt suposed to ,it looks like you just slide the front cyl pipe into the connector pipe and use the clamp to suport the front pipe to the frame ( with the help of the small clamp).the book doesn't seem to show a clamp to fit that joint,so I'm hoping I'm right.
Next is item 32 in the pic,the tee pipe,it looks like only the cyl port clamp goes on it ,the other 2 openings are slide in fits.meaning the crossover pipe doesnt have a clamp on the joint where it meets the tee pipe nor does the bottom joint of item 32 where it joins the squish/connector pipe .I have a suport clamp that goes on the crossover and bolts to a cyl bolt ,but hav'nt got that far to figure which one.
What I just describes takes up all nine clamps .Can someone please confirm this ?
Neil
Attachments
exhaust diagram 003 (Medium).jpg
exhaust diagram 003 (Medium).jpg (77.74 KiB) Viewed 3960 times
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:44 pm

Re: 59 pan exhaust clamp locations ??

This is what the 1959 exhaust system looks like. Two clamps (38) hold head pipes to head. One clamp (22)around each muffler. One clamp (21)Y pipe to each muffler. Two clamps (37 & 46)holding front headpipe to the frame. One clamp (38) rear head pipe to crossover pipe.
Don't use to one piece "S" "Y" pipe.
<<

indianut

Post Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:33 pm

I thought that through 1961 it was a True Dual type system?
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:29 pm

indianut wrote:I thought that through 1961 it was a True Dual type system?

That is what "Thinkin' will get ya.
<<

indianut

Post Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:41 pm

Chris Haynes wrote:

According to page 628 of Bruce's Book Early 1961 was the Last of the Dual Exhaust without the interconnected rear pipe and Late 1961 was the First of the Dual Exhaust with the interconnected rear pipe. I guess I wasn't 'Thinkin', I was just Remembren what I learned when I was studying.
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:21 pm

indianut wrote:
Chris Haynes wrote:

According to page 628 of Bruce's Book Early 1961 was the Last of the Dual Exhaust without the interconnected rear pipe and Late 1961 was the First of the Dual Exhaust with the interconnected rear pipe. I guess I wasn't 'Thinkin', I was just Remembren what I learned when I was studying.

Those are factory photos of a 1959.
<<

indianut

Post Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:58 pm

Maybe so, but Obviously 2 Different '59's. One with 2 into 1 and one with 2 into 2. What is the -# on the rear pipe that has the 2 way splitter on it? I bet it's later than -59.
<<

neilw

Post Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:00 pm

[quote][/quote]meaning the crossover pipe doesnt have a clamp on the joint where it meets the tee pipe nor does the bottom joint of item 32 where it joins the squish/connector pipe .
I have a couple of questions .On the photo of the connector pipe ,it appears to be a one peice , ( 39 ) not a 2 peice set up (35 & 28 ) .
I'm a little unclear on the crossover pipe joining into the tee (32) did you sat there was a clanp on this joint? And where 32 (the pipe with the tee) joins the connector pipe ,is there no clamp on this joint? I don't think there are ,but am double checking .
Why did you say not to use the one peice squish/connector pipe (39) .It seems to be fitting ok and was used on the 61.
BTW I have built several bikes from baskets back in the 70's ,all ridgid chopper types back then ,This is the first original style bike I've tried puting together ,and am really enjoying it .I'm definetly not trying for a 100 point restoration ,I want to ride this bike everywhere,,rain, mud, gravel, I have everything to make it the style of a 59 ,plus I'm adding mud flaps ,big studded seat skift ,directional lights ,and have B&B's bubble bags. The only noticable part to a dedicated pan guy would be the 1965 style conector pipe.
But if there is another reason please let me know .
Neil
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:00 pm

"Why did you say not to use the one peice squish/connector pipe (39) .It seems to be fitting ok and was used on the 61."
"The only noticable part to a dedicated pan guy would be the 1965 style conector pipe.
But if there is another reason please let me know."

You just answered your own question.
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:08 pm

indianut wrote:Maybe so, but Obviously 2 Different '59's. One with 2 into 1 and one with 2 into 2. What is the -# on the rear pipe that has the 2 way splitter on it? I bet it's later than -59.

Yes two different machines. Sadly I don't have one of every photo in the H-D archives. The bike is definitely a 1959 though.
This is the same retouched photo used on page 138 of The Legend Begins.
<<

ElectraPan

Post Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:54 am

Anyway, true crossover or not, add the horisontal heatshield on left hand side!
I have a -65, with true crossover, and destroy my ridesuite, and get burned :cry:
Good luck!

Return to Pans