FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Greasing wheel bearings

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

BenE

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:02 am

Greasing wheel bearings

I've got a 1958 Pan with star hubs. The front hub has 2 grease fittings: one in the center of the hub, and one on the end near the right side star. I've never greased these myself before, so I'm looking for advice on how not to screw it up or overdo it. I'll be using a hand-pumped grease gun.

Also, what should I use for grease? I was thinking of just getting the Harley brand, but it seems like there are a lot of types at the auto parts store that are cheaper. Are they just as good?
Thanks
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:26 am

Re: Greasing wheel bearings

BenE wrote:Also, what should I use for grease? I was thinking of just getting the Harley brand, but it seems like there are a lot of types at the auto parts store that are cheaper. Are they just as good?
Thanks

Grease is grease. A high temp grease for cars with disc brakes is good.
<<

Jerry Wieland

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:33 am

Re: Greasing wheel bearings

Ben The zerk on the star side needs only a small amount of grease and the one in the center of the hub needs only a couple of shots a couple of times a year. After you grease the hub carry a grease rag for the first few miles as the hub will most definitely "find its' own level so to speak". I usually grease the center one or two shots every time I adjust the rear chain and I have never tore up a star hub with that procedure and when I've taken them apart they always have a good supply. These are simple bearings and any SAE rated bearing grease will do the job.

Jerry

Return to Pans