FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

adjusting 32E generator

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

SuperSideValve

Post Sat May 03, 2008 1:57 pm

adjusting 32E generator

I have been looking through a lot of posts about this subject, but it's still not clear to me how to correctly adjust a 6V 3 brush generator.

The serive manual states: "The following maximum rates specified are battery charge over equipment loads indicated, which do not include sidecar lighting, using test ammeter at battery ground. A standard generator should have a charging rate of about 4A."

Does this mean: -put an ammeter between the battery groun cable
-start the engine
-switch on the lights
-read the ammeter, let's say it indicates -8A (discharge)
-rev up the engine equivilent to 55-60 mph cruising
-the ammeter should read -8A + 4A = -4A (discharge, so after 22Ah/4 = 5,5 hours your engine dies.......)

Another question, I have a fuse in the positive wire, so can I out the ammeter here instead?

Thanks in advance,

Robert
<<

Frankenstein

Post Sat May 03, 2008 8:21 pm

Re: adjusting 32E generator

SSV, What the manual is saying is that there should be a Positive reading on the ammeter in the ground cable of +4 amps at road speed. In other words it should meet all the electrical needs of the standard machine and still have an excess of 4 amps to charge the battery at road speed. Sure, you can put the ammeter in the positive lead, if the fuse is in the right place to take the measurement. If it connects directly to the positive terminal, then yes, remove fuse, hook up meter, and take readings. Make Sure the Battery is Always connected while the engine is running. The battery is what keeps the voltage at a safe (for light bulbs) level. Make your ammeter connections with engine off. Once connected, start it up and check it out.
DD
<<

SuperSideValve

Post Sun May 04, 2008 12:32 pm

Re: adjusting 32E generator

Thanks for the quick reply! I checked the current and found it was charging almost 8A! I am going to adjust the generator's third brush tomorrow and set it to 4A.

Thanks again,

Robert

Return to Big Twin Flatties