FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

OIL SQUIRTERS PAY OFF!!

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Frankenstein

Post Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:59 am

OIL SQUIRTERS PAY OFF!!

Pardon the caps, but I just wanted to update all on the engine status of my 44 bobber.
I pulled the top end off yesterday, investigating a noise I had started hearing, (turned out that I need a little more pop up clearance). So, I mic'd the pistons and cylinders.
As near as I can determine, bore wear from top of cylinder to unworn bottom is about 1/2 thou, both front and rear cylinders. Total piston to cylinder clearance is 3 thou, with original setup clearance being 2 thou, for a total wear of one thou overall. This is after Ten Thousand miles. This included several weekend road trips of 7-800 miles. These comprised about half thruway/interstate cruising. I'd ride to Rhinebeck then go on afterward to visit my son in Mass. Then, burn on back on the return trip via the Thruway.
I'm completely satisfied in my mind that the sporty pump/piston squirters, and perhaps the filter being in the engine feed line, are responsible for this improvement in longevity.
I just thought it was newsworthy and you all might like to know,
DD
<<

jib

Post Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: OIL SQUIRTERS PAY OFF!!

great to hear DD , regards jib .

p.s ,what pop up clearance were you running?
Dude, check out that jibhead, he's crazy. Hasn't been sober for 40 years
<<

George Greer

Post Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:38 pm

Frankenstein wrote:Pardon the caps, but I just wanted to update all on the engine status of my 44 bobber.
I pulled the top end off yesterday, investigating a noise I had started hearing, (turned out that I need a little more pop up clearance). So, I mic'd the pistons and cylinders.
As near as I can determine, bore wear from top of cylinder to unworn bottom is about 1/2 thou, both front and rear cylinders. Total piston to cylinder clearance is 3 thou, with original setup clearance being 2 thou, for a total wear of one thou overall. This is after Ten Thousand miles. This included several weekend road trips of 7-800 miles. These comprised about half thruway/interstate cruising. I'd ride to Rhinebeck then go on afterward to visit my son in Mass. Then, burn on back on the return trip via the Thruway.
I'm completely satisfied in my mind that the sporty pump/piston squirters, and perhaps the filter being in the engine feed line, are responsible for this improvement in longevity.
I just thought it was newsworthy and you all might like to know,
DD

Herr Dr...

That is very good to hear!!

George
<<

helsingborg

Post Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:35 am

sportypump sportypump sportypump
Thanks for the update!
:)
<<

George Greer

Post Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:01 am

Dick,

I got to thinking about something...

Since your oilers are directed to deliver the filtered oil to the underside of the pistons, and not directly at the cylinder wall, did you happed to use some method to measure the temperatures of the cylinders and heads? (I have a remote sensor temp gauge from Sears).

Just to see if the engine's running cooler????

George
<<

Frankenstein

Post Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:57 pm

No, didn't use any temp sensing gear, although I have shot the heads and jugs with an IR gun from time to time. They seem to get pretty much equally hot, can't remember any numbers off the top of my head, but then, there's not much left inside my head either these days :lol:
However, the bottom side of the piston crowns look like new, and the skirts show maybe 1/2 thou wear? To tell the truth, I don't trust my reading of the inside micrometer when we get to ten's of thou's.
What I did notice was oil temps were much higher now than with stock oiling or earlier skirt oiling.
Also, the piston crown area towards the valves, above the rings would show scraping wear patterns previously, and that is not there now. I attributed that wear pattern to localized heating of the piston crown, as that area of the combustion chamber showed localized heating, as if that where the hottest part of the charge burn occurred.
I also think the addition of "popup" of the piston and relieving the heads to match may have moved that hot spot and that may have helped with the problem. Really need that transparent engine.....
DD
<<

fhsmith1

Post Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:59 pm

Frankenstein
<What I did notice was oil temps were much higher now than with stock oiling or earlier skirt oiling.>

This alone tells me the squirters are absorbing the excess heat from the pistons.
F

Return to Big Twin Flatties