FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Converting springer to Timkens

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

rocket ron

Post Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:27 pm

Converting springer to Timkens

I have installed Glide cups and Timken bearings together with the modified adjuster nut. The diameter of the stepped section at the base of the stem has been reduced to take the lower bearing. When assembled the whole assembly is approx. 3/8" too tall and the handle bars won't go down far enough to instal the top nut.
From reading past posts I know many of you have done this conversion but have any of you experienced this problem?
The only way round this that I can see is to have 3/8" taken out of the adjuster.
Any other ideas?
<<

milwaukee belle

Post Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:13 am

is it an original or a repro forks ?
<<

rocket ron

Post Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:44 pm

Original.

I have thought of fitting a Glide adjuster and making a spacer to the correct height.

If you have any other ideas I'll be glad to hear them.
<<

steph

Post Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:59 pm

Fran-6 should tell you how to make the inside cones in the bearing Rocket Ron, just like he shows on the pics off his fork jig!
That should solve the question + make your fork"behave like it should" with the Timken bearings.
Stéph
<<

47knuck

Post Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:32 am

Ron: When the neck was trimmed you lost the spacing for the bearings. That has effected the ride height. Have a spacer (just like the axle spacers) cut to support the lower bearing and install the dust cup from a glide front end. I would use a bit of heavy wall tube and trim to length. That should put the springer back to where it belongs. If you run that springer shorter you will have ground clearence issues.
Steve H

Return to Big Twin Flatties