FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

carb question

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

yp

Post Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:13 am

carb question

Hello again and happy new year to all....I am doing a top end on my U,new pistons ,I am now oversize to 80cu.in,but 11 fin cylinders and high compression alloy heads(was running iron)
I was using an M58 carb,ran great,but have recently found an M51L, reading through Palmers book i saw these were used on ULH and UH 80`s,would it be better to change to the M51L with the oversize pistons and new heads.......thank you.......
<<

Limey_Dave

Post Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:08 am

Did you mean M88? If so then yes it will run better with a M51L

Standard M88= 15/16" venturi
M51=1& 1/16" venturi

M51L=1& 1/8 venturi

Yours may have been changed to smaller one,if so,try it.You can change size and see which is best for you.
<<

yp

Post Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:38 am

Hello Dave,the M58 was big twin for South Africa and i think some Navy models in US(not sure).....its basically the same as the M51......was the difference between M51 and m51L just the venturi???
<<

panic

Post Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:31 pm

Looks possible, don't see any other differences, which means you can either modify your existing venturi (if you know what you're doing), or find one from an externally vented 1-1/4" (M-41L, M-51L), or modify an Indian to match your air intake (but any Indian carb part is probably $$).
<<

Cotten

Post Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:25 pm

Colony now has 1 1/8" venturies, but you will have to discipline them to fit properly.

....Cotten
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:53 pm

Sounds like your bike was a South African model. If you are restoring it that carb should stay on it. If not the M51 was for the 45 & 74" and the M51L was for the 80"
<<

yp

Post Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:53 am

Yes the 42U originally came from S.Afrika with M58 when i got it in 2002,it needed loads of work and was missing lots of the original parts....luckily i have collected missing parts over the years and was lucky to find a guy here that "civilianized" a S.A bike and sold me the army fenders,rear 42 stand with sand pads ,tool box among other stuff.....the bike is now a racer/bobber ,set up with great period accessories,flanders,bates.....i love to ride it and love the way it looks but dream of collecting enough stuff to to build the bobber around another UL engine,and putting the 42 back to original.....I have a very long way to go though.....
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:44 pm

A year or so ago a load of machines from South Africa showed up in Los Angeles for an auction. The California Highway Patrol came in to verify the serial numbers before the auction and removed about half a dozen former military bikes from the sale for having altered serial numbers. The auction company did battle in the courts and the bikes were returned. The CHP could not prove they were stolen. Bear in mind these were partially complete, assembled basket cases. They then offered all of the bikes as a group to a select few bidders from the previous auction. After the bidding closed I checked the bid amounts. Most all of the bidders were in the 10-12 thousand dollar range for the group. About what the useable parts would retail for. But the high bidder bid $30,000.00. Obviously he didn't have a clue what he was bidding on. I have seen a lot of stuff from So. Africa at swap meets. Lots of it had altered numbers. Be careful when dealing with that stuff.
<<

yp

Post Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:40 am

Hello Chris....i had a second engine from S.A that had the 41 on the vin tab intact but the four numbers after hit deep over the old ones.....i sold this...saying that though many of the WLA`s that were here in Greece had terrible number jobs,apparently when changing a case or whole engine in the army it was easier just to stamp over the numbers with bigger stamps!!than to change paperwork.....many of these bikes were then sold to civilians but are legal because when first registration came out for street use they kept a tracing of the vins,whatever the condition,i owned an ex police panhead like this never had any problems here.....BUT wonder how that would look if some one tried to export a bike from here with bad vins....i know in the UK even with correct papers and proof it was`nt stolen, you could`nt register this bike...
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:11 am

In California, and most other states, it is illegal to own a vehicle that has had the numbers altered. I know guys who had NOS blank cases that had numbers stamped into them that lost them.
<<

panic

Post Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:52 am

In NY there is an interesting exception: a lien or probate is a form of ownership that transcends any prior history since you're buying the "res" (thing) itself, not the title.

Return to Big Twin Flatties