FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

improved BTSV oil system.

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Frankenstein

Post Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:18 pm

improved BTSV oil system.

Hi gang, I thought you'd enjoy my improved oil system for BTSV's. This way the pump doesn't draw horsepower from the motor when running. The electric drill supplies the rotation. Of course, this is just a prototype, I'll switch to a battery powered drill on the final production model
:lol:
Dr Frankenstein
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:52 am

Pretty cool idea Doc ! Why not research some of the small engine electric fuel pumps for the power drive ? Those motors run all the time and last extremely well. Pa
<<

Frankenstein

Post Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:51 am

Just so you all can feel at ease, no valuable antique harley parts were harmed in the production of this experiment... Although JIm probably looks at it as a good start to another of his blown flathead restoration projects!
Dr. Dick
<<

JIm

Post Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:52 pm

All I need is a welder and about 52 Lbs of rod

I wont steal your post but I think I'm ready to put it up. Might still have a couple of typo's though.

I'll wait for your reply or start another one, your call.

Jim
<<

Frankenstein

Post Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:11 pm

JIm, Right, 52 pounds of Rod!! Hey, I stlll have the web from the drive side main for that case, so that should cut down about 6 Lbs of rod.
I don't care if you hijack, but you might want to start your own thread on a serious note, as opposed to my tongue in cheek start to this one :lol:
I did some work on my test jig today, using a single .050 orifice, got 6"@500 Pump RPM's, with full flow to pinion. .050 is roughly twice the area of 2 .026" holes, but I don't know if there is a direct correlation due to viscosity, etc.
Dr Dick
<<

JIm

Post Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:22 pm

Dick,

I wont hijack, hope I can post a PDF file.

.050 seams a bit large. I was getting very good oil with the .026 in both front and rear with good flow in the pinion.
At the highest RPM I ran I got a oil shooting over 8 ft but the wife got pissed. Got it all over the floor and the bench But that RPM will probably never be used or reached in most use. I was very satisfied with the final results I got. Now if it just works in the real world.

OK folks get ready for a new post on BTSV oil system improvements. Love it or hate it.

Dick and I have been talking a bit. I think I inspired him to go back to work.

Jim

Return to Big Twin Flatties