FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Return pump and breather opinions

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

JIm

Post Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:56 pm

Return pump and breather opinions

For get about the original breather question. DUH

Does anyone know if there are any return gears that are the same OD as the UL gears but thicker? I know that they would not work with the stock UL breather but that's not a big problem to over come.

Jim
Last edited by JIm on Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

amklyde

Post Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:59 am

I have some gears from a sporty pump, the same od but about a third wider. I thought it would be easy to correct the spacing problem by using a section from a puimp with a bad breather tower and once carefully aligned fitted with a couple of dowels. The drive gear could be counter bored to alow for the keys or a snap ring. Then, I was advised that it was all wasted thought, as the existing gears are capable of returning any reasonable amount of oil. Its seems that the real problem may be getting the oil to the pump. If anybody come up with a successful plan to get enough oil to the pistons and cylinders without ending up with a sump problem and without using some externally supplied skirt oiler, I would love to hear about it.
<<

JIm

Post Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:14 pm

Brain is in neutral on the breather, never mind.

The gear question was an after thought. I agree that the stock return pump is OK for a stock oil system.

As I said, I will be putting more oil in the lower end and need to get it back out as fast as possible. So it may also be necessary to increase the return pump capacity by using thicker gears if I can get it out of the lower end faster.

Jim

Return to Big Twin Flatties