FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Sticy Clutch

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

47knuck

Post Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:30 pm

Sticy Clutch

Got another for some advise. The Flatty runs great, The wife is having soo much fun I have to wait fr her to go to work to sneak it out. Life is good. But, it is some times, not often, difficult to get into neutral or 1st when slowing down. If you blip the throttle it is easy, try explaining that to a new rider. My question, if the plates are sticking will this cause the clutch to hang? Or is it more like some rough spots on the fingers the plates ride against? I will pull it down this winter for sure but I need to start saving for some bits and parts now if I can get a heads up before I take it apart all to the good. If not I will be broke again. So whats new? Thanks.
Steve H
<<

rwrunski

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:03 am

I had a similar problem with my 45. It turned out that the fiber disc were not cut the exact same way. One of them was tight in the basket and I imagine it got worse as the clutch got hotter. What I did was a little shaving on the fiber disc and a little tapping out of the fingers (very carefully) on the clutch basket to allow the disc to move in and out freely. This seemed to take care of my problem.
<<

47knuck

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:21 pm

rwrunski: Thanks, I will look at the fit to shell nice thought.
Steve H
<<

patch

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:55 am

clutch

spend $20 at J&P cycle for a ramjet clutch retainer,best investment i made on my 41 U cleared up all my clutch problems.
<<

47knuck

Post Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:43 pm

Patch: Will this thing stop the anoying "rattle" at full disenguage? That is as annoying as the sticky downshifts.
Steve H
<<

patch

Post Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:20 pm

in my case i had the 3 stud clutch hub.changed from foot clutch to hand clutch,which shortens the clutch pull.the bike would creep when in gear.i run a primary belt, all i know is that for $20 it fixed everthing.it should lessen the rattle.if your primary is to tight it pulls the hub out of alignment.good luck.
<<

47knuck

Post Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:24 pm

Patch: Thanks I will give it a look. I run a belt and have a hand lever as well. I don't think I can talk the wife into riding a foot clutch yet. :)
Steve H
<<

Frankenstein

Post Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:57 pm

Patch, The ram Jet is the nuts. Helps cure the grabby clutch too. The rest of answer to grabby,dragging problem was springing for a new set of fiber disks. I guess washing out the same 30 year old set of plates just wasn't getting it any more. That and the new "O" ring countershaft sprocket nut with seal to keep tranny oil from the plates finished the cure. No drag, no grab, no rattle. I've done the nut on all the fleet, this winter the rest will get new fiber plates. I'm tired of the rattle too so, that should quieten all of them.
Yes, I'm running belts also.
Dr. Dick
<<

47knuck

Post Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:10 am

New fiber plates? Yeah maybe I should not be so cheap. Mine are about as old as the rest of the bike. But not quite as old as the rider. :)
Steve H

Return to Big Twin Flatties