FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Mallory connection on UL 74ci????

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

40UL Joe

Post Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:48 am

Mallory Connection on UL 74ci ????

Dont feel bad,Your not alone.I waited over 15 weeks for a repro knucklehead frame for my UL. Upon checking it it was found that the top motor mount was approximately 3/8 of an inch foward of where it should be.This makes it impossible to mount the fatbob gas tanks,and you can imagine where the top motor mount bolt hole was.Upon attempting to trial fit the speedometer cable it was found that someone had forgotten to open the hole in the neck casting all the way through making it impossible to get the cable through.The frame was returned to V Twin and they sent another frame in return.The top motor mount on this frame is STILL 3/8 OF AN INCH FOWARD.Looks like i am going to have to cut the top motor mount off and reposition it correctly.Dont have much choice as they will not return the $1800.00 it cost but will only offer a store credit.The rest of the frame mounts appear to be within specs,but for the money you pay for these you shouldent have to go through all this to make it work.
Joe E
<<

Plumber

Post Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:59 am

Your in good company Joe. We'd like to see how you made the change on the top frame mount when you get it finished. Does the motor sit level? If so, you must have gotten one of the "new and improved" Knuckle frames... Ya' lucky pup! All of the rolling chassis in the '06 catalog have forward tilting motors (rear mount's fault, IMO), that's why I haven't posted any pics of them. Too much finger pointing and not enough solutions would have been the outcome.
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:50 am

I will be getting my new Knuck engine from the builder today. Then I will take it home and put it in my Corbin/V-Twin frame and see how everything fits. So far the tanks fit OK as does the transmission. My frame is an old one as I bought it when they first hit the market 5 or 6 years ago. At the same time I bought another frame that we installed a Flathead 80 in. The only problem we found with that one was that the wrap around the seatpost tube below the Engine/Transmission mount did not have the tapered slot in like an original. This caused a clearand problem on the cases. We ground the slot tapered like the originals and everything fit fine.
<<

Plumber

Post Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:44 pm

Any method for checking the rear axle plates for alignment with the transmission mounts supports? The rear axle plates and top frame mounts and the motor sitting at a forward tilt were the only reported problems with early V-Twin Knuckle frames, that I've heard of. Gas tank mount holes would be affected. It would be handy to have a list of the problems you'll find.
Last edited by Plumber on Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Sideblåsern

Post Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:13 pm

Chris Haynes; Well repop is repop.... but parts fit, engine fits and they are quite strong to.
Previous

Return to Big Twin Flatties