FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

BT 3rd Gear Question

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:49 am

BT 3rd Gear Question

I don't know what to make of this BT third gear. Talked to others who say they have never seen one like it. I have a spare that is completely flat on the same side. Any thoughts ? Thanks, Pa

<<

Jerry Wieland

Post Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:01 am

That gear is 1936 to I believe 1938. The shifting clutch gear from that era has the same stagger. Would you sell it?

Jerry
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:24 am

Thanks Jerry. That confirms it's correctness for the 37 it came out of but I was confused as to why it was manufatured that way. I can't part with it. Sorry. I need to use it in the tranny it was in. The shifter clutch mates up nice with it but the dogs are rounded over a little bit. How much rounding over is to much ? I picked up what was supposed to be an nos shifter clutch but now I am not sure. It came in an opened original factory box but it has no markings on it anywhere for high. The shifter clutch that was in the tranny has a V stamped into the one dog. The V marked side was facing the main gear when I disassembled it. No matter how much I stare at the shifter clutch, I can't seem to find a reason, by the appearance, why it wouldn't work properly either way. What am I missing ? Thanks... Pa
<<

Jerry Wieland

Post Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:48 am

Pa

The stagger of the teeth on both the clutch gear and 3rd and high was intended to make them engage easier. The later clutch gear is direction sensitive because they use a bevel instead on the trailing edge of the teeth on the clutch gear to engage.

I do not believe that the early clutch gear is direction sensitive.

Usually a V stamped on a gear indicates that it is 3 speed or 3 speed and reverse.

Jerry
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:21 pm

Thanks again Jerry. The trans is a 4 speed. Are you saying that the questionable nos shifter clutch that I have with no markings will fit either way then ? All the leading edges on the dogs are sharp. Pa
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:21 pm

Jerry, My buddy is going with later gears and said he may be willing to let the earlier set go. The set includes the main drive gear and shifter clutch. If interested.... email me direct. Pa

Return to Big Twin Flatties