FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

BT Coil mount

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

47knuck

Post Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:47 pm

BT Coil mount

I pulled the coil off the 37 cause it was held on with "thru" bolts. Right through the seat post. That will complicate installing the pogo stick and solo seat. Looked up how the original coil is mounted and found a nifty set of "U" clamps and spacers to go around the post. Don't laugh this was new to me and hard to see in pictures. So here is the question. the clamp and spacers have no clearence between the oil tank and post. I shifted the tank mounts and the fender as far to the rear as I can. I put the clamps in OK until the spacer is pulled into place and the mount rotates to the front. It will work this way it just don't feel right. I would also think the original plate to mount for the old style coil would force it farther around and it might hit the back cyl. I don't think that the heat from there is gonna do the coil any good. I know that my oil tank is aftermarket, side fill. I also know the tank on my Knuck is repop. But the same clearence issue would be on either bike. The frames are very similar with the neck on the Knuck at a bigger rake angle. The real question, is this common, normal, don't worry, or be concerned? Thanks :oops:
Steve H
<<

BRAD

Post Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:27 pm

Steve, I know a few here will shudder at the thought, but since you have repro oil bags i would'nt worry. On many bikes I have had to take a long heavy screw driver or pry bar and actually pry and dent in the front of the oil bag to give a little extra clearance for the u bolts. It is good to keep the coil sticking staight out to the side and away from the rear head and cylinder to keep it from getting to hot.
<<

BRAD

Post Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:28 pm

Steve, I know a few here will shudder at the thought, but since you have repro oil bags i would'nt worry. On many bikes I have had to take a long heavy screw driver or pry bar and actually pry and dent in the front of the oil bag to give a little extra clearance for the u bolts. It is good to keep the coil sticking staight out to the side and away from the rear head and cylinder to keep it from getting to hot.
<<

BRAD

Post Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:28 pm

<<

BRAD

Post Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:29 pm

<<

47knuck

Post Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:10 pm

Brad: Just the solution I had in mind
Steve H

Return to Big Twin Flatties