FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

CALAS oil pump installation

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Frankenstein

Post Wed May 14, 2014 4:30 am

Re: CALAS oil pump installation

Glad to hear of your success with the Calas system Woody. It's good to know there's a bolt on solution out there.
my oil tank gets at least as hot as the pan or Knuck. I've come to believe that full flow pinions do aid some in cooling. The piston squirters however, direct it to where it's needed most.
DD
<<

George Greer

Post Sat May 31, 2014 1:18 am

Woody,

I can't seem to find the old posts that I had here on my WL-KH motor.......

Is what I am doing to the oil pump/scavage pump and skirt oilers going to end up in failure?

Here is a link to the project.

http://www.hydra-glide.com/phpBB3/viewt ... =55&t=7618

George
<<

woody

Post Sat May 31, 2014 8:45 am

George,
I believe that the pump mods you made should work fine. The problem I had was due to the material I used to plug the cylinder base bolt holes inside the case. If I remember correctly, you have your piston squirter feed going through a drilled top case bolt which eliminates the need to plug the hole inside the case.
<<

George Greer

Post Sat May 31, 2014 10:31 pm

Woody,

I enlarged the hole to 7/16" and made a banjo type fitting for the oil lines.

On the inside of the case where I made a threaded filler, I sealed the inside of the cases, and the area around the engine cylinder bolts with a engine sealer that I got in France, then baked the cases in the boss lady's oven when she was at the swimming pool.... :oops:

Take care, and I am glad you got it figured out.

George
<<

Dusty-Dave

Post Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:05 pm

George Greer wrote:Woody,

I enlarged the hole to 7/16" and made a banjo type fitting for the oil lines.

On the inside of the case where I made a threaded filler, I sealed the inside of the cases, and the area around the engine cylinder bolts with a engine sealer that I got in France, then baked the cases in the boss lady's oven when she was at the swimming pool.... :oops:

Take care, and I am glad you got it figured out.

George

Last time I baked freshly Glyptol painted cases in the bosses oven I got to buy her a new one and slept in the living room until I did!
Dusty
<<

knucklebolt

Post Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:46 pm

And just how is the old Whore running? I've got 404 miles on the Little Mistress.

k.
<<

woody

Post Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:35 am

She is running great. I have 250 miles on her so far and all is well. Oil pressure is 30 to 35 psi hot at highway speed. Last ride I dropped it in 5th gear for a short stretch and she is very smooth. I went out several hours after the last ride and there was one tiny oil drop under her. Much better than my friend's shovel. I had to put a diaper under that one. :)

No apparent wet sumping issues so far, either.
<<

knucklebolt

Post Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:01 am

Very glad to hear that. What are you running for a carburetor? I'm running a Bendix with adjustable main jet. It works good except, I can't get a real low idle, (don't want one but the carb should be capable of it) and it loads up a bit when idling, and sometimes I have to blip the throttle a few times to clear her throat before taking off in first gear. The idle adjust/bleed is real sensitive, has a very tiny "sweet spot", where it either idles or does not.

My engine is not wet sumping either. But I changed two variables at once, stretching the bypass spring, and changing to a much heavier oil. So..? I'm thinking that spring was short, and not bearing/pressing on the ball at all.

I'm only getting a couple of drops of oil when parked, coming from the primary cover. I think I have the primary chain oiler adjusted just right. From prior experience it seemed that if one didn't get a few drops when parked, then the chain would run dry. I think I'll pop the inspection cover and take a look at the primary chain today to be sure.

As far as I can tell, that transmission is not leaking at all, nada, zip. The knucklehead definitely marked it's territory much more "aggressively". But it never leaked a drop from the rocker boxes or top end, which used to amaze people for some reason.

Okay great, I'm glad.
<<

woody

Post Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:38 pm

I am using a Kehin CV. In the past, I have used Linkert, Bendix, Andrews, and Mikuni. The CV is the best as far as I am concerned. Do you have PEEK manifold seals? They make a big difference no matter what carb you use.
<<

knucklebolt

Post Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:21 pm

I'm using the brass seals...they were in perfect shape, and installed properly...by me. I really dont' think I have a leak, it passes the propane test. I just really don't think I have a leak. !!! But I know some would say I have a leak, and don't know it. And it does idle, just not the slow potato idle. It is a long distance from the carb to the "Y", I wonder if my long intake affects the idle. Took the carb off today and played with it, managed to move the carb in closer to the engine/intake by about a 1/4", seems to start and run fine, good medium idle...but the big thunder clouds kept me from making a test ride.

I was originally going to use a Linkert, until I started pricing them. I thought it was a great carb on both my 45 and the Knuck.

ken.
<<

woody

Post Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:27 am

Ken,
I make PEEK seals and would be happy to do a set for you. If you are using brass seals you have intake leaks. The only way to test for sure is with pressure and soap. I have always preferred the longer manifolds over the short ones. I don't really know if there is much difference, just my preference.
<<

knucklebolt

Post Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:37 pm

In theory a longer manifold, or more plenum has it's advantages...but I forget what they are. Compared to most engines, a long intake on a V-Twin is pretty short.

I could try some peeks, whip some up for me if you would. I knew someone would tell me if they are brass, they leak. !!! :) But my question would be, even if there is a tiny tiny leak, that can only be detected by pressure testing, can that be enough to affect the idle that much?

Wish it would clear up a little so I could take her for a good 50+ mile road test.

k.
<<

woody

Post Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:06 pm

Ken,
Yes, a tiny leak can make a difference. I will need your manifold as the seals must be individually fit and if the manifold surfaces are worn or deformed, I cut them to true them up and also I face off the carb surface as it is usually not flat. We can use the Uncle Yuk express if you wish. PM me for price as that is forbidden on here. :wink:
<<

knucklebolt

Post Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:24 pm

Okay, will PM or email for price...but...it will have to wait for winter if I have to pull the manifold. Maybe September when I go back to work and get busy with hunting. ? The riding is just getting good, can't take her out of service. !!

Did some back road and highway riding today, and she sure is running good, except for the idle thing, and I can live with it at the moment. Sure cruised nice at 65mph, nice and smooth and the engine just felt happy, and good, and solid. 450 miles! Put an extra washer under my primary chain oiler, didn't have any of the real thin ones, so slipped in what I could find, which wasn't so thin. When I popped the little inspection cover and checked the chain, she wasn't dry, but looked as if it could use a little bit more oil.

Stopped for gas in Spangle, and boy did she pee all over the ground. !!! Made her look like a real leaker, which she isn't. Hope no one noticed! So I think I'll go back to my original setting, check the chain more often.

Anyhow, thanks, will get back with you on the Peeks. And I think you are right, a tiny leak is probably exactly what would give one a touchy idle.

ken
<<

woody

Post Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:17 pm

Ken,
I am glad you are getting some miles. I will be ready to do the seals for when you are ready.
<<

knucklebolt

Post Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:49 pm

At 770 miles now, and I discovered my air cleaner was quite restrictive. I fixed that and my idle quality is much better, I wouldn't be afraid to ride it in Spokane/city traffic now...although I have no desire to do that. !!! Still can't get a potato potato potato idle, but she'll idle good just slightly above that.

My engine seems to be getting "sweeter", feeling more comfortable to go 60-65mph now. Took her up to 75 once, and she had no complaints. Not sure where the true break-in point is, mile wise. She stopped smoking quite a while ago...probably only took a hundred miles for the rings to seat in. ?? But for sure, runs nicer all the time as the miles add up, and there's much less mechanical noise as she's breaking in.

How many miles do you have now, and how's she running?

k.
<<

woody

Post Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:13 am

Ken,
I have about 300 so far. I have been pretty busy lately and haven't gotten her out for a couple of weeks. I put her up on the lift after the last ride to do a complete electrical inspection due to a minor issue that showed up and found a couple of other things that needed attention so I am working on fixing them. Nothing major, just things that seemed like a good idea but need improvement.
<<

knucklebolt

Post Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:19 pm

Yep, detail work. That's what I enjoy the most.

ken.
Previous

Return to Big Twin Flatties