FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

CALAS oil pump installation

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

woody

Post Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:39 pm

CALAS oil pump installation

I installed the CALAS HP oil pump and scavenger pump today. It is a very easy job. Everything fits very well and there are only a couple of things to watch out for.

On the scavenger pump, the studs need to be 1/4" longer for the added length of the gears.

On the feed pump the drive tangs on the cam need to be radiused to match the slots in the pump gear. The bolt pads on the pump body are 1/8" thicker and this makes the studs a little short. I found that the stock return pump studs work good to replace the original studs for the feed pump. The bolt that goes through the cam cover into the case is too short and is easy to strip the case threads with the new pump. I had to make a special longer stud for this location.

The inlet fitting on the feed pump is a stock type fitting with 7/16-20 threads into the pump body. The pump is also available with 1/8 NPT threads but that must be specified on order.
<<

knucklebolt

Post Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:29 am

Re: CALAS oil pump installation

How long before you fire that sucker up?

ken.
<<

woody

Post Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:57 am

Probably 2 or 3 weeks. The bottom end is done, but there is still a lot to do on the rest.
<<

fhsmith1

Post Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:09 pm

Woody
Please post after you get it running. I installed the same feed pump a couple of years ago and would like some comparison of it's operation.

Thanks
F
<<

woody

Post Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:03 pm

After an email conversation with CALAS I decided to pull the cam cover and machine the feed pump surface. It was a good idea as it turned out to be .008" out of true. When I put the cam cover back on the motor, a crack showed up in the usual location for early cam covers over the pinion shaft. I put it on the mill and cut through the cover over the pinion bushing. It is only 1/8 thick in this area. I will try to get enough of a flat spot to bolt on a small cap to seal it off.
<<

woody

Post Sat May 03, 2014 7:28 am

Here is the cam cover with it's new cap over the pinion shaft. When I machined down to the cracked area, I found that it had actually cracked all the way around and sooner or later, a round piece about an inch in diameter would have fallen out of the cover.

<<

knucklebolt

Post Sat May 03, 2014 7:23 pm

A most tasteful solution. Looks good. Smooth cam cover...most of my engine seems to have been "updated" with post 1940 parts, except for the cylinders. The heads that came with the engine are quite beat up, so maybe they are '37, who knows.

So, I ask again, about ready to fire that baby up?

ken.
<<

woody

Post Sun May 04, 2014 7:01 am

Thanks, Ken. I may fire her up today if I can find an o-ring for the distributor locally. If not, it will be sometime during the week.
<<

woody

Post Sun May 04, 2014 6:05 pm

She lives again!!!

Fired a few times on the 2nd hand roll over. Started right up with a few kicks. Sounds real nice. I went with .005" piston clearance. It was fitted at .002 before even though I told them .035 minimum. The cylinders scored but the pistons were still OK. I honed it myself with a hand Sunnen and 3/4 drill. Great upper body workout.

40 psi oil pressure at high idle with the new CALAS pump.

A few heat soaks, and it should be ready to ride next weekend, weather permitting.
<<

knucklebolt

Post Sun May 04, 2014 7:03 pm

Yippie and good for you. Sounds like you've squished the last of your (big) bugs. I'm at 150+ miles and aside from the condenser failing the bugs have been few. Been mostly sorting out fine details, like mounting the rear exhaust pipe a little more securely, swapping out some nutz and bolts out for better looking nuts and bolts, put a fuse in, valve adjustment, chain adjustments, getting just the right bleed on the primary chain adjuster, playing with tire pressure, stuff like that.

May the force be with you. !! Good to know it will be on the road for summer. Let me know if you get over on this side of the state with it.

ken.
<<

woody

Post Sun May 04, 2014 7:07 pm

Any chance you will make it over for the Snohomish bike show in 2 weeks? I am trying to make it for that. Would be great to see you even if your bike can't make it here.
<<

knucklebolt

Post Mon May 05, 2014 8:15 pm

Naw...I'm all booked up. Hey! The Little Mistress could make it over...but I think I'll go easy on her at first. That would be one test ride for sure.!!

One of these days we'll have to get those flatheads out on the road, side by side. Rode my knuck with five other knucks one time, that was too cool, six Knuckleheads in formation, roaring down the freeway. Quite a sight to behold. Sure would be cool to see a couple of Big Twin flatheads roaring down the road.

Keep me/us posted.

ken.
<<

woody

Post Sat May 10, 2014 8:19 am

The new pumps seem to be working good so far. Good pressure at idle and the return flow is very nice. It is a steady flow of foamy oil as opposed to the intermittent bubbling of the stock system. Weather permitting I will get it out on the road today.

Ken, it would be great to have 2 flatties riding together. Would be better to have 6 but 2 is acceptable.
<<

knucklebolt

Post Sat May 10, 2014 9:36 am

Wow, she's running and ready! That is too cool. I am really, seriously glad you are running again. I bet you are good to go now.

Yes, six big twin flatheads might be an impossible dream these days, (or six Knucks) two would certainly be, "two cool". !! One of these days. This year just driving the Little Mistress in downtown Spokane traffic will be a biggie for me, I can't even imagine riding in the Seattle area.

Okay, good luck and more power to you.

k.
<<

woody

Post Sun May 11, 2014 7:32 pm

Got it out on the road yesterday. I got 11 miles and had a flat tire. The front tube split right on the seam. I fixed that and got 50 miles and the first oil change today. After a 20 minute run, the idle oil pressure is 35psi and the oil tank is just warm to the hand. I am very impressed with the CALAS oil pumps and would highly recommend them. It is worth it to get both the feed pump and return kit together.
<<

helsingborg

Post Mon May 12, 2014 11:11 am

Hello Woody,
Have you installed piston oilers or just the new pump?
<<

knucklebolt

Post Mon May 12, 2014 7:46 pm

I love keeping score on the miles after a build. (227 for the Little Mistress) Wow sorry about the flat...sure don't need that on a road test!

I've been kind of surprised at how cool the oil tank stays, considering the flathead's reputation for running hot...at first I wasn't sure if the oil was circulating. !!! Wasn't until my first longer rides that the tank would get kind of warm. With your pumps pumping more oil 20 minutes sounds right. I think mine takes a little longer than that. Did a 57 mile ride last Sunday, and the tank felt more reasonably warm, like "good and warm". Is that scientific or what? Hopefully this weekend I can do 100 miles. I think I'm good to go, nothing has spewed oil, caught fire, or fallen off the bike so far.

Guess I can't accurately remember how warm the oil got on the Knuck, seems like that tank would get pretty hot, but then again it's been pretty cool temps I've been riding in so far. I suppose that oil will get hot enough come July and August.

Really glad you are on the road.

ken
<<

woody

Post Mon May 12, 2014 7:57 pm

helsingborg,

I also have piston oilers. That was the modification that drove this years long search for more oil volume. I discovered through testing that the stock pump absolutely would not feed enough oil to run piston oilers.
<<

helsingborg

Post Tue May 13, 2014 11:21 am

Knucklebolt,
That's why I asked woody about piston oilers. Your oil will NEVER get as hot as you get in a Pan or Knuckle, unless you have piston oilers installed. I mean, the oil supplied to the lower end through the pinion shaft and crankpin is very limited, and just increasing the pump volume won't do any good. All excess will be bypassed to the cam cover.
<<

knucklebolt

Post Tue May 13, 2014 6:56 pm

Yes, that do make sense.

k.
Next

Return to Big Twin Flatties