Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions Big Twin Flatties Pinion shaft set screw

Pinion shaft set screw

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

Post Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:05 pm

The previous builder of my motor left the set screw out of my pinion shaft and I am having trouble finding a replacement. Any one know where to get the correct one? I think it is a Jim's shaft.

It is apparently not a Jims shaft as it does not have left hand threads. It is 12-24 right hand thread.

Post Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:55 am

Is this the screw in the end of the shaft you're missing? I'm thinking Mcmaster carr could fix you up with one. In the past I've soldered a small flathead screw that fits flush into the end of the shaft to block off the hole successfully. Just used a big old fashioned soldering iron to do the job. Even did it in situ.
DD

Post Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:52 am

Dr.,
Thanks for the reply. I will probably do something like what you suggest. At first, research seemed to indicate that this should be a special left hand thread screw, but since I found out that it is just 12-24 right hand thread, if I can't source a set screw locally, I will cut off a regular screw and cut a screwdriver slot in it. That and a little Loctite should take care of it. I have a bad habit of always trying to find the "correct" part first before I go for the shade tree fix.

Post Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:51 am

Problem solved. While searching my drawers and bins for cam shims, I stumbled across a small bag with several 12-24 set screws in it. I didn't even know I had them. Brain fart :)

Post Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:49 pm

Gosh, that's never happened to me! (not)
glad to hear you got lucky
DD

Return to Big Twin Flatties