FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

How sweet it is.

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

knucklebolt

Post Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:07 pm

How sweet it is.

Just now fired up the Little Mistress, aka project knucklebolt, for the first time. Was doing the wiring, got the ignition done, and thought, what the hell?

Poured some gas in the tank, just a little at a time in case there were any leaks. NO leaks. So I put in some more. Turned on the gas, and the carb (Bendix) did not even leak or flood. Bonus! So I turned on the ignition and started kicking.

She wanted to fire at first, but kept kicking back on me so I figured she was a bit too advanced. I have a 45 mechanical advance circuit breaker. So, turned her just a bit clockwise, and KA-BAM! She fired up and ran almost like a champ for a few minutes.

Shut her down, checked the oil, looked for any other leaks, and she fired right up again. Once it warmed up it ran great, every bit like a champ, throttle response is great. That engine wants to run. Then all the fresh paint and grease and oil started cooking off...she got nice and hot. Nothing like grease, oil, and paint cooking and smoking off a fresh rebuilt engine. !!!

And what a sound. The little Mistress sings a beautiful bass line....I mean...she sounds GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD. I mean, it sounded damn good.

Okay....I'm prouder than a game rooster. Just had to "share" that.

ken
<<

mark59

Post Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:25 pm

Re: How sweet it is.

Knucklebolt....congrads!....
Then all the fresh paint and grease and oil started cooking off...she got nice and hot. Nothing like grease, oil, and paint cooking and smoking off a fresh rebuilt engine. !!!
...makes life worth living, my big flattie is a blast to ride.....my shovel and dresser have seen almost no miles the last two years, between those two bikes there are about 180k miles on them, now the flattie is near 20k and going to rack up the miles in the years to come....just started another ULH, so i can toggle between the two of them and never be without a U model ready to ride .....mark
<<

amklyde

Post Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:47 am

Always great to hear about a finished project. Enjoy!
<<

knucklebolt

Post Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:48 am

Thanks guys. Still have to wire up the headlight and brake light, and the two dash/idiot lights. Also need to put some oil in the forks, and I thought I was pretty smart by adding a couple of extra clutch plates...now to discover that the clutch don't release so well. !! But I can whip that clutch in about ten minutes. I'll get her done soon though, now that she's running, that's quite an incentive to completely finish.

Hate to admit it, but I think I was stalling out a bit, screwing around with the kicker. But now the kicker kicks.

Roads here aren't very good at the moment, and the driveway is snowy and icy...haven't used a foot clutch for a while, so I'm going to want a good dry surface to get back in the groove. Might be February before I can start running it around the block. (I have about a four mile "block" (paved) out here in the boonies) (and a shorter 2-mile loop)

And I won't mention that I haven't started the licensing procedure yet!

Thanks again, I'm really pumped.

k.
<<

knucklebolt

Post Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:12 pm

She's wired, I've got the carb tuned in to an acceptable, rideable level. Just need to re-adjust the primary chain (and so the rear chain) and she's ready to ride.

Although, I think I'll change the oil first before I do that. Just have some light car-oil in it at the moment for the first few start ups, heat cycles and trouble shooting.

In other words, I'M PUMPED! She's ready to ride.

ken.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:08 am

Congrats and ENJOY ENJOY ENJOY !!!

Return to Big Twin Flatties