FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

tranny whine

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

mark59

Post Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:37 pm

Re: tranny whine

a bit of an early update....Andrews Products have looked over my damaged transmission components and are willing to work with me on replacement parts, the details will be known in a day or two. the outcome does look good, we spoke on the phone this evening and came up with a plan that should be acceptable. a final ok must come from someone in management. the tech i have been dealing with was very sincere and diligent in finding a solution to an unfortunate event. this says volumes to an american company that still retains an integrity that i respect and admire........mark andrews ....here's a pic of the UL
Attachments
39flat.jpg
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:35 am

That is great news Mark !! I also really like the choice of pic layout for the bike.
<<

mark59

Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:53 pm

thanks Pa, that's the strasburg RR, i'm a carpenter, brakeman, trainman, conductor and what ever else needs done...LOL. we run only steam and use our fleet of 100 yr wooden coaches for tourist trains, our back shop does repairs and parts for steam engines all around the country, our 5 operational steam engines range from 1906 to 1924 so the 39UL is a young brat compared to them...mark
<<

mark59

Post Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:32 pm

even'n folk's, thought an update would be in order now that Andrews Products has come to an agreement with me. today a box arrived with everything they make for a 4 speed......shafts, gears, forks, clutches, and my preferred ratios as well. since several components in the damaged tranny were NOS Harley and not andrews we came to a financial agreement, so for a few hundred dollars on my part they supplied a complete trans. I am satisfied and content with the out come and thought this should be posted primarily to show the integrity of a decades old company surviving in this economy and still valuing customer service and company reputation.
I have 10k on the flathead now, the revtech gear set is working fine, 4th still is notchy and sometimes needs a shift and hold til it drops in......rpm change, double clutch. 4th always holds and never pops out, could be clutch related a bit but i do think the lack of lead in ramps and narrow slots for the shift clutch dogs requires an ideal shift for drop in engagement. I plan to change out the gear set in a month or two and we'll see if shifting improves then.
I rode the flattie through central pennsylvania up into the mountains for a weekend away, what a thrill it was.....pulling long grades requires getting set up right, speed and rpm wise, my wife was leading on her 07 nostalgia softail, she learned to get out of my way when approaching a long grade so i could grab some speed and rpm's and just smirked when she overtook me up the grade aways. amazingly that old bike could pull 4th and a few times i went for a little more throttle and it was pegged. the motor has a little more stroke for quench reasons and porting, relieving done, it was built by a well known engine builder in central PA and runs strong. i have a twincam dresser that is fine for what it is, but it cannot light my world up like that old flathead can. saturday was cold, wife had frozen steaks and fix'ins for dinner in her saddlebags that were still frozen that evening when we made dinner in a rented bungalow, sunday was warm as we wandered around the hills, lost on purpose most of the time........take it easy folks...later Mark!
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:12 pm

That is great news Mark ! Sure glad it all turned out to everyones satisfaction. Pa
Previous

Return to Big Twin Flatties