FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Putting a VLE in a FLH frame?

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

kblharley

Post Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:42 am

Putting a VLE in a FLH frame?

I built a complete roller with a new 1970 up 4 speed in a Santee straight leg hardtail frame. I intended to install a cone shovel but came upon a rebuildable 1933VLE. Has anyone done a simular install? I understand I will have to come up with an oil feed tank instead of the underseat bag and redrill new front mount holes but is there anything else I may not be aware of?
Looking for helpful feedback.

Kevin
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:44 pm

Re: Putting a VLE in a FLH frame?

Putting a spacer under the front motor mount to make the cases sit flush
<<

panic

Post Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:01 am

1. the engine sprocket is off by about .72", the transmission shaft is way too long.
2. the front exhaust pipe may strike the right front down tube.
<<

kblharley

Post Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:28 pm

Thanks, I was going to use a belt drive and Fab the front pulley. As to the transmission would a pre 1966 4 speed be more adaptable? The downtube is a big concern, I have the roller stored at my home in Maryland and I have begun the motor rebuild here at my home in Louisiana so fitment testing was not possible. I,ll trailer it down at Thanksgiving and if this looks to be to much trouble I will sell the rebuilt motor with Title or trade for a suitible motor for the roller.
<<

panic

Post Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:41 pm

Yes, the pre-65 box or even an early mainshaft in your 70 transmission will bring the sprockets much closer although I've heard there's still some mis-align.
You won't know if the front pipe hits without a mock-up, because any mod to the down tubes generally makes more room. Raising the engine will make slightly more room. Worst case: you have to swap out to a U front cylinder and head, which has the pipe pointing almost directly forward.
<<

kblharley

Post Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:58 am

Thanks you have brought up a question I had. Can I use a U top end on a VL? If so what all do I need to be aware of. I am not building this motor for show points. Using Chrome acorn hardware etc.

Return to Big Twin Flatties