FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Another "Old School" Chopper....

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Frankenstein

Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:22 am

Another "Old School" Chopper....

Decided to build a bike that showboats the Big Twin Flatty's magnificent looking engine. I've always liked the looks of this motor, especially when those big heads aren't hidden under stock tanks.
DD
<<

amklyde

Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:06 am

Re: Another "Old School" Chopper....

That's a beautiful bike Dick. The powerplant really stands out. Fun to ride?
<<

john k. endrizzi

Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:34 am

Great Machine Dick ! Is that a Hearst-Airheart caliper ? I'll bet it barks pretty proudly with those drag pipes !
JKE
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
<<

Curt!

Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:55 am

Now, THAT"S a classic chopper. Nice job, Dick!
Curt!
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:36 pm

Strengthens both arms.....packs the poop shoot too. :lol: Bike is sweet Doc. Brings back moocho memories. Pa
<<

milwaukee belle

Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:54 pm

Nice !!!
i have a question :
i can't see ant regulator ....
( and it seems it is not at the end of the gen ...i see a 32-E cover on your pic ... )
where is it ?
<<

Frankenstein

Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:37 pm

Thanks for all the kind words guys, Much appreciated... I'll have to post some more pictures to answer some of the questions. The front caliper is actually a 79 or so one from a sporty. You know, that twin disk setup? With a bunch of home made aluminum bracketry. The voltage regulator is one of my home made ones, under the seat, in a 1"by 3" aluminum box.
Yes, it is fun to ride, been a long time since I rode one of these guys :D She's not too loud, but at least now I can hear my own engine when I'm riding with my loud pipe buddies. The motor's been stroked, by the way, 4 1/2 Inch, 84 inch? and feels much stronger than stock. Used Torque Monsters. And, of course, did all my oil pump voo doo as well.
The bike's just kinda my reaction to all this "Old School" crap going around these days. Got the bike with the frame already raked, so I figured, why not? I think maybe I can remember how it was we did these things back in the day :lol: :lol: You know how that goes, remembering stuff from 30 years ago I can do, remembering 5 minutes ago, duh, :(
DD
<<

Frankenstein

Post Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:46 am

Here's a few more pictures of some of the details:

And of course, the Inevitable Sporty oil pump! :lol:
DD
<<

George Greer

Post Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:13 am

Nice!!!

George
<<

enigmas

Post Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:21 pm

Very nice piece of work Dick. Great attention to detail. When did all this happen? ~ Vince
<<

Frankenstein

Post Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:36 pm

Hi Vince, thanks for the complements. I picked up this bike about a year ago January. Turns out to be a bike I had sold about 34 years ago. It looked a little different when I got it. It was a bobber with the frame already raked. So, I thought I'd build an old fashioned chopper, with a few minor improvements. It's about 85 inch, and the heads have been milled for .050" popup, needed because of the 4 1/2" stroke. Runs real nice, hard to hold back while breaking in :lol:
DD
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:06 pm

It certinally has the look of a late '60's early '70's ride. Many memories there.
But what is this Old School thing? Who's school and how old? Where does this term come from? The bikes I see claiming to be Old School bikes certainally look nothing like the bikes from the school I went to. Asbestos covered exhaust? Black hubs, chrome spokes, red rims, and white sidewalls?? Gimme a break.
Most of the bikes I remember from the '50's/'60's were cut downs or bobbers. Some aftermarket parts were available. Exhaust systems, Lee clutch, B&H shifter, Bars, risers and controls, a few chrome bolt ons. Then in the '60's choppers were coming on strong. Choppers started appearing with frames painted to match the tank and fender. Molding was now here. Choppers were done with a lot more chrome and custom paint than the Bobbers were. Triumph choppers were coming on strong too. More and more bolt on acessories and custom parts came on the market. Custom seats appeared. Guys would always try to make their bikes look as good as they could on what their budget would allow. Paint would come first and while riding chrome was added, when it could be afforded. Sometimes just the frame got fresh paint and tanks and fenders would come later. Lousy old Springers were dumped for Glides. :mrgreen: Knucks were out and Pans were in. Flathead? Who wants one of those? :lol:
I remember some shops had a chrome exchange showcase. Hand over your stock parts and walk away with chrome with no waiting. More costly but no waiting 6-8 weeks for a chrome shop to get your stuff done. Constant upgrading as funds would allow but the bike had to be kept on the road for most of us as it was our only transportation.
But black hubs, chrome spokes, red rims and whitewalls? Never. Asbestos? Never heard of it.

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:14 pm

That is one of the nicest chop builds I have seen for years. OLD School ??? This is a perfect example of Old School !! Woodstock....Hippy....Rebellious Biker !!! Easy Rider !!! 60's 70"s !! What was the rake on your stanley steamer ride Chris ? :mrgreen: This bike hits hard on me heart. It reminds me of exactly what you described Chris...true old school. My chopped KHK will sit proudly aside this bike anytime. Molded frame....fabbed flames beneath the neck...beast on the tank.... metal flake paint scheming .... Cool Cool Cool . A BITCH tO RIDE TOO ! :mrgreen: Pa
<<

Frankenstein

Post Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:37 am

Hi Chris, "Old School"?? Exactly the Point. You remember it pretty much as I do... Of course, back then it was happenin' first on the West Coast out by you, then filter back East. :lol: So, yeah, the idea was to build one as it might have REALLY been back in the day, and see if Folks now could appreciate what was done then....
So, thanks for all the nice words guys,, much appreciated. So, Pa, let me know, we'll have to have an "Old School" convention some day. :lol:
DD
Funny you mention Woodstock Pa, it was about 39 years ago the long strange trip began for me... Just gotten out of the Army, and a buddy of mine asked me if I wanted to go to this Music Festival.. Only about 100 or so miles from home... "Sure" I says, so I took the car with the sleeping bags, he took a different route to pick up his current sweetie on his Sporty, and we were to meet there. He even gave me a bandanna to tie to the car antenna so he could find the car when he got there so he could pick up his sleeping bags.. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Well, you can guess how that worked out. But my poor little eggshell mind was permanently altered by the great changes that had happened in this country since I had left 2 years previously.
The late 60's were definitely times of great change in America, I'll leave it at that.
Dr Old fart Dick
<<

45Brit

Post Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:39 pm

this got me rummaging around in the loft, sure enough, there in the bottom of the box.... real 1970s 'Choppers' magazine style! All it needs is a suitable 'pseuds corner' write up from Chris Bunch.....

I agree about the Old Skool nonsense. It's just like the 600cc methanol-burning BSA Gold Stars with Norton forks, 3-speed gearboxes, Honda clutches and electronic ignition that you see in Pre-65 motocross. No resemblance at all to the bikes of the period.
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...
<<

milwaukee belle

Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:23 am

<<

Kurt

Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:23 am

WOW DD, that's a really cool tribute to the '70's for sure. Nice job and would stand out in anyone's collection.

Love them Flatheads!!!

Kurt

Plus, you gave me an answer to a problem I was having on mine. Thanks!!
<<

krazy loop

Post Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:53 pm

That is what they were supposed to look like all along.
New Knuckleheads? Thank, you, Jesus!!
<<

sleeper

Post Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:46 pm

DR.-

Very classy machine !!!! You did a beautiful job !!!!
Really does showcase the BT Flatty!!! Plus the Girder is a nice touch as well...

I was wondering what you had in store for your 'lost-n-found' Flatty..Now we know !!

Great bike with an awesome history !!!!

PS: nice tuck job on the oil filter !! I almost missed that..
<<

Frankenstein

Post Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:34 am

Hi Sleeper, Thanks for the complements. I'd like to take credit for the oil filter, but I stole the idea from Paul Freibus. Saw one of his awesome Bonneville bikes at Rhinebeck. He'd done the same thing only used a spin on and pointed it the other way. We've got about 700 miles on it now, and am having a hard time staying calm :lol: I cc'd the chambers and it runs about 6:1 compression. It pulls really strong!
DD
Next

Return to Big Twin Flatties