FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Rocker clutch problem

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

HAWKEYE

Post Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:31 am

Rocker clutch problem

On my "new" old UL the clutch rod rubs and springs off of the primary cover. I can't see any way to fix this problem, does anyone here have a solution? See attched photo, you can see the rod is bowed from contact with the cover.

HAWK
<<

HAWKEYE

Post Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:07 pm

Re: Rocker clutch problem

Do you think that possibly over the years someone might have stepped on the clutch arm and bent it down? Should I try to bend it up a little bit to see if it will help? Come on guys give me some ideas......
HAWK
<<

john HD

Post Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:08 pm

hawk

it does look a little low, bending it up certainly would help.

do you have the correct rocker pedal? if i remember correctly there are a number of different ones.

john
<<

HAWKEYE

Post Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:08 pm

That I don't know. I just got it. How would I be able to tell if it is the right one or not?
HAWK
<<

MarkBranst

Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:45 pm

Hawkeye,

Try to find a copy of Bruce Palmer III " How to Restore your Harley-Davidson." Used copies from Amazon for less than $25. It illustrates and describes all sorts of year specific parts ...

Whether that's your problem or not I can't say, but you really should have a copy of this book for your library or shop. I think everybody on this list would agree that this book is the "BIBLE" even if there are some errors and omissions.

Mark
<<

Matthew N. Olsen

Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:27 pm

Your outer primary looks like an old repro one. It has a huge hump up fron for clearance for a compensater sprocket. V-twin started making really nice outer primary covers a couple of years ago that are right on. Even with the new outer primary cover, you still might have a clearance problem, but it will be a huge improvement. That is a really nice bike, I love those flatheads.
<<

HAWKEYE

Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:29 pm

I'll look into the V-Twin outer primary that sounds like it might be the ticket, the rocker is a correct one from everything I can see on it and it will not "adjust" upwars any so the rod will clear.

Thanks, I just got it in last week and have just put the first 100 miles on it, had a few "tweaking" problems. Now if I can just get that Linkert M51 to idle better................
HAWK
<<

john HD

Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:33 pm

i think matt is on to something!

i did not notice the bulge!

john
<<

HAWKEYE

Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:53 pm

I've looked it up and I think I'll order a new primary tomorrow.
HAWK
<<

krazy loop

Post Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:55 pm

Sounds about normal to me. I never owned one that did not rub somewhere. Clutch arms are pretty tough so unless someone in the past torched and bent it down or it was involved in a wreck I'd say forget it.
New Knuckleheads? Thank, you, Jesus!!
<<

45Brit

Post Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:54 am

I think the answer about repro parts is probably right. H-D made a whole range of basically similar parts that look the same but are slightly different in detail, wheras the AM industry tends to make parts which are about right for more or less anything, but slightly wrong for any given application.
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...

Return to Big Twin Flatties