I did the search thing, but didn't find anything real specific to my experience today, so I'm throwing this out, any words of wisdom, short answers, or definitive answers appreciated.
I have a Cycle Electrics low-volt 12V generator, and the little Yusa battery. It's been in there since at least last January, and 700 miles, and has been working perfect.
After about a 20 or so mile ride on the UL, on the back roads, trying to find where my tank goes on reserve, I got on the highway for about eight miles or so, took an off-ramp, came to a stop sign, and she dies. Aha! So I flip on the reserve and I'm about to kick her back to life, and I notice that my generator light is off...no ignition. So I pushed her off to the side of the road.
No lights, no generator light, no ignition. So I checked my fuse, and it was fine. Then I carefully flashed from the positive to negative, and found that the battery was totally, completely dead-nuts dead. Last few miles I must have been running completely on the generator, and when she idled down to where the gen light comes on, that was all she wrote.
In the hour and a half, at least, that it took the wife to go find the Son's trailer, (mine would have had to have all the tires checked and the license plates switched) hook it up, find straps, and arrive on the scene, I noticed that some very little juice had come back. Enough to run the generator light, but switching on the headlight would kill it.
Got it home, off the trailer, kicked her back to life (battery had come back to life more) and could see the generator was definitely working, turn on the headlight and you could see it go bright and dim with the revs, and the gen light would flicker on when she idled down, just like normal. Pulled the battery out and found that a couple of cells were very low on water...a hair below the tops of the plates. On an old volt gauge I got a reading of about 7 volts. One thing I learned was that you can't go by the lines on that battery to tell if it has water...I actually thought it was a little over filled last time I checked it. Then taking off the caps told the true story.
I've got it on the charger now, I've added electrolyte, not water, and the charger says she's really struggling to take a charge, or that it's not that dead...? It's not reading like a normal low battery does...needle is way down around like a half or one amp, normally I'd see 2-6 on a low battery. ???
My question is: Do you think the battery is now damaged? Dare I trust it further? With just some cells very low on water, should it have gone totally dead like that? Anyone have the same experience?
Or has it to do with the battery being so small, that when she dies, she dies completely? What Up? With no turn signals, (shhhh) starter, and I hardly ever use the rear brake, so the brake light isn't even using much juice, it's not like a 12V system should be getting over worked. ?? Up until today, lights have been nice and bright.