Board index Flathead Power- General Announcements and Various Subjects Talk To Us Problems staying logged in? (after forum update)

Problems staying logged in? (after forum update)

General announcements, news or ideas concerning people, places, or events coming up. No technical, politics, or complaints. Try to keep it short.

Moderators: Curt!, Pa


Posts: 325
Location: Viola, WI

Hello everybody.

I just received an email from a forum member who is having an issue. The error: you log in, wait to be redirected to the forum index, and you arrive LOGGED OUT. I ran into this same issue after we updated but rest assured, it's easily fixed.

1 word, COOKIES. It’s an old cookie on your browser that was for the old forum, that once cleared, will clear up this issue.

If you are using Internet Explorer, go to Internet Options -> General (tab)-> under “browsing history”, click “Delete”. Then it will ask you what you want to delete. Uncheck them all except for “cookies” and “preserve favorites”. Hit “delete” and refresh and try the forum login again.

If using Firefox (recommended), click Tools -> Options -> Privacy (tab) -> remove individual cookies -> search for “sscycle.com” -> then look for cookie names that start with “phpbb3” and remove them. Refresh the forum and login.
*Firefox for Mac: On the top menu, pick Firefox -> Preferences -> Privacy (tab) and the rest is the same.

If using Chrome (recommended), click on the wrench -> Settings -> type “cookies” in the Search Settings box -> Content settings -> All cookies and site data -> search for “sscycle.com” in the cookie search -> then look for cookie names that start with “phpbb3” and remove them. Refresh the forum and login.

Or you can clear your entire private data from either Firefox or Chrome and start fresh. Just be mindful of what else you may be clearing such as stored passwords or form data.

I hope this helps. Have a great one!


Posts: 1028
Location: Ojo Caliente,NM,USA
That fixed the not staying logged in but it still doesnt auto log in when the butto is checked. The next time I have to manually log in again.
Dusty


Posts: 1028
Location: Ojo Caliente,NM,USA
Welp I lied it logs me out after 8 or 9 page changes.
Dusty


Posts: 1028
Location: Ojo Caliente,NM,USA
Figgured out that if I never use the back button on the browser it doesn't log me out and will auto log in next time.
Dusty


Posts: 325
Location: Viola, WI

What browser are you using? I thought I noticed a similar instance earlier today while using Chrome. I just tried to do what you did in Internet Explorer and Firefox and I'm staying logged in.


Posts: 1028
Location: Ojo Caliente,NM,USA
I use Explorer and Win 7 what ever the best home version is on this machine. My laptop with win 7 ultimate would log on all along.
Dusty

Pa Site Admin

Posts: 5802
Location: Ohio USA

Explorer has glitched on me in the past several months but it recovers. Microsoft explained to me they will no longer support earlier versions of explorer within less than two years from now. They also told me they would quick supporting XP all together. They said to upgrade to the newest version of explorer, one must upgrade to win 7 first.


Posts: 202
Location: Middle England UK
I'm on XP using IE7,and don't have a problem.I don't log out when finished,just click the X in the corner to close the site.Come back a week later,I'm still logged in.
I saved the Home Page to Favorites,then went to Favorites and sent a short cut to Desktop.
I double click the shortcut icon on Desktop,and I'm in.
I'm still using the same shortcut as before the forum facelift.


Posts: 1028
Location: Ojo Caliente,NM,USA
It's still pretty flakey! Had to relogin twice just to post this. This machine doesn't have any problems on any other boards. Flushing the cookies helps for a little while.
Dusty


Posts: 729
Location: nekoosa,wisconsin,usa

I can't even get logged in on Firefox. I have no problems on Safari however. Amklyde has the same problem. When I go to Tools in Firefox ( Tools -> Options -> Privacy (tab) , I am unable to find options or privacy. Help Justin !


Posts: 145
Location: De Soto WI.
john k. endrizzi wrote:
I can't even get logged in on Firefox. I have no problems on Safari however. Amklyde has the same problem. When I go to Tools in Firefox ( Tools -> Options -> Privacy (tab) , I am unable to find options or privacy. Help Justin !

Hi john, are you getting any of the PM's I sent to you?
Mark.


Posts: 325
Location: Viola, WI

john k. endrizzi wrote:
I can't even get logged in on Firefox. I have no problems on Safari however. Amklyde has the same problem. When I go to Tools in Firefox ( Tools -> Options -> Privacy (tab) , I am unable to find options or privacy. Help Justin !


You mac users just have to throw a monkey wrench in don't ya. :D I had to go look on a spare mac. The way to find the same location on firefox for mac is: Firefox (menu next to apple icon) -> Preferences -> Privacy (tab). From there, removing your cookies is the same.

I'll update the guide up top as well.


Posts: 325
Location: Viola, WI

Dusty-Dave wrote:
It's still pretty flakey! Had to relogin twice just to post this. This machine doesn't have any problems on any other boards. Flushing the cookies helps for a little while.
Dusty


What browser and version are you using?


Posts: 729
Location: nekoosa,wisconsin,usa

Justin,
I removed all cookies with FHP & SS in their address........ But when I log in, I get text saying that I'm logged in. The re=direct takes me to the forum home page where I'm no longer logged in. What the heck ?


Posts: 325
Location: Viola, WI

john k. endrizzi wrote:
Justin,
I removed all cookies with FHP & SS in their address........ But when I log in, I get text saying that I'm logged in. The re=direct takes me to the forum home page where I'm no longer logged in. What the heck ?


This happened to me as well but when all cookies that are associated with “phpbb3” are cleared, it gives the browser a clean slate to work with. It works out of the gate on any browser that hasn't already had a history with the old forum's cookies, like your safari. I have this running like a champ in Firefox (pc and mac) at the office and at home. The variable in this is your machine's / browser's confusion with this forum being on a new server with a new version of the software.

Pa Site Admin

Posts: 5802
Location: Ohio USA

Not to toss a wrench into the gearbox here but I am seeing flaws in all web traffic and computerized systems of operation lately. Not sure whether this forums software issues relating to operating systems of users is related but it very well may be. Examples..... Walmart register computers are denying debit cards with bank accounts full of cash. Customers are getting denials and then go to the atm to get the cash. Atm works but the server for wally world thinks differently. Comcast and Dish Network servers are going off the wall with corrupt data changing channels, and scrolling through menu's at will. Weather channel data is constantly interrupted or frozen. AT&T telephone systems are dialing to companies numbers that do not even go to them. I personally chatted with a vendor whose number I use often and several times the number went to a cruise line in the south seas. Yahoo search is slower than a turtle and many other bike forums I belong to are as well. Just sayin....Maybe it isn't all the forums software at fault here.


Posts: 976
Location: Markt Einersheim, Germany

Pa wrote:
Not to toss a wrench into the gearbox here but I am seeing flaws in all web traffic and computerized systems of operation lately. Not sure whether this forums software issues relating to operating systems of users is related but it very well may be. Examples..... Walmart register computers are denying debit cards with bank accounts full of cash. Customers are getting denials and then go to the atm to get the cash. Atm works but the server for wally world thinks differently. Comcast and Dish Network servers are going off the wall with corrupt data changing channels, and scrolling through menu's at will. Weather channel data is constantly interrupted or frozen. AT&T telephone systems are dialing to companies numbers that do not even go to them. I personally chatted with a vendor whose number I use often and several times the number went to a cruise line in the south seas. Yahoo search is slower than a turtle and many other bike forums I belong to are as well. Just sayin....Maybe it isn't all the forums software at fault here.



And everybody thinks global warming..........hummm.

I think its the gov is running a long range test, trying to take control....

Or???

Pa Site Admin

Posts: 5802
Location: Ohio USA

I just surfed ebay and it was slow as Moses. The forum is running smooth though.


Posts: 325
Location: Viola, WI

George Greer wrote:
And everybody thinks global warming..........hummm.

I think its the gov is running a long range test, trying to take control....

Or???


Well, that escalated quickly. :shock:

Ultimately, my suggestion to everyone really would be: If cookies are bringing you down, no better time than now to get a fresh/better browser. If you are using Internet Explorer, I highly recommend downloading a free copy of Chrome. IE is by far the worst browser I've used and had to develop for. Most people don't realize that they are looking at thousands of websites wrong or aren't working the way they should because they never question their browser. In fact, websites have now started to implement the "IE tax". So if you visit a retail site, you could be prompted to pay extra because you are using IE. That's because it takes 10 times the work to create patches and work-arounds for standardized web code, that all other browser understand, to work properly in that horrible browser.

I've extensively used / tested all major browsers and if I had to rate them as far as speed / function / security, It would be:
#1 Chrome
#2 Firefox
#3 Opera
#4 Safari
#5 Internet Explorer

I understand the inconvenience that people may feel. People here have been loyal users of this forum for a long time and it worked fine until us pesky web guys went and rocked the boat. :twisted: haha But frankly, we were forced to either upgrade or drop the forum for good. I was not going to let the latter happen.

Yes, the upgrade has caused some nuisance for some people because of their browser's confusion with how it knew the old VS understanding the new. I have tested the CRAP out of this new software on fresh browsers and it works BEAUTIFULLY.

I'd like everybody to be able to have the same experience.


Posts: 1028
Location: Ojo Caliente,NM,USA
Installed Chrome tried to post a picture and it logs me out every time. So far it has only logged me out once to get this posted.
Dusty

Next

Return to Talk To Us