Intended as a direct replacement oil pump, S&S billet oil pumps incorporate some unique S&S design features. Installations on engines from 1936'69 can be a simple bolt-on, or the oiling system can be updated with simple drilling steps with the S&S drilling fixture. Engines from 1970'72 require a drilling step and a plugging step. Engines from 1973-'80 require only the drilling step. Both steps can be performed while the engine is in its chassis. Installations on 1981-'99 engines are strictly bolt-on and require no crankcase modifications. Easy to follow installation instructions are provided with every kit.
Features and Benefits
- Same width oil supply and return gears as the stock Harley-Davidson® aluminum pump
- S&S pinion and oil pump drive shaft drive gears increase potential oil volume delivery by 25% over stock on 1972 and earlier engines
- S&S pumps for 1936'67 engines used with the S&S oil pump drive gears deliver 33% more oil than the original cast iron pump
- Machined with an oil pressure relief bleed off passagewayrelieves pressure build up on top of the valve to maintain consistent oil pressure
- Oil pressure regulation bypass routes excess oil directly to the supply side of the pumpreduces the amount of oil returned to the tank, less foaming and cavitation
- The standard pump cover allows total flexibility for oil system configuration with a number of oil feed and return options