These connecting rod assemblies are more than tough. Replaceable lower bearing races, a better oiling crankpin, and additional rod-to-rod clearance create perfect conditions for a big bore kit or longer stroke flywheels. 1984-'99. Big Twin.
Features and Benefits:
- Heat treated to provide superior strength, hardness, and fatigue resistance
- Heavy duty rods are forged from 4140 chromoly steel
- Supreme rods are forged from 4340 aircraft grade chromoly steel
- Bearing clearance is pre-fit so rods come ready to install
- Crankpins have two oil distribution holes located between the roller bearing paths for continuous oil distribution to the bearing
- Thrust faces on crankpin end of rear rod are grooved to distribute oil and help maintain lubrication between the rod and flywheel thrust face
Designed with additional rod-to-rod clearance to accommodate strokes up to and including 5"
Heavy Duty Connecting Rods S&S heavy duty connecting rods are recommended for stock rebuilds and high performance street engines. The upper rod area where the rod beam meets the wristpin boss is blended together with a large, smooth radius that evenly distributes the stress load on the rod, and the small ends of the rods are fully machined for increased strength and uniform material thickness around the wristpin. The machining process also keeps the weight difference between the small end weights of each rod to a minimum – allowing for the closest possible balancing job and a smoother running engine.
Supreme Connecting Rods Originally developed for nitro burning engines. Supreme rods offer tremendous strength for racing and other demanding applications.
Notes: S&S rods with their beefier than stock construction are slightly heavier than stock connecting rods. Therefore, rebalancing the flywheels is recommended when S&S rods are used in stock replacement applications. We realize that rebalancing is an inconvenience, but we did not want to sacrifice rod strength. In addition, given the variations in stock and aftermarket components available to engine builders, flywheel rebalancing is a desirable step in any major engine overhaul.
To aid shops and engine builders perform the rebalancing procedure, S&S has developed and offers a complete flywheel rebalancing kit available here.
Supreme. . . . .34-7214
Heavy Duty. . . .34-7013